Where to mount thermocouple ?

Black cat

I'm just about to attach a 4" high temp thermocouple to my forge.
I was wondering where the best place to mount it would be.

I've included a diagram of what I had in mind.

Basically it's through the top rear of the forge body pointing straight down through 2" of wool and 1/4 inch mortar. Sorry... The picture is upside down... Idk why (headache).

image.jpg

Can't help you with the TC location but I can rotate the pic for you. Maybe this will elicit more suggestions.

ThermalCoupleLocation.jpg

My thought would be that the top would be a the hottest place, heat rises, would the side back behind the burners be better? That is a question, I am not the one to ask. Ed

TC needs to be where your work is! Ideally the burners should have been pointed upward. That keeps blade out of direct flame/heat and creates a vortex. But back to the question, you need to know what the temp is at the blade you have in the heat. The TC cased in a ceramic sleeve will give the truest reading at the work level!

Mine sets in a V groove, cut into the fire brick that line the bottom of the forge. It is encased in a ceramic sleeve where the blade when laying flat on the firebrick can slide across the TC. The top of the ceramic sleeve is flush to the top of the brick!

TC needs to be where your work is! Ideally the burners should have been pointed upward. That keeps blade out of direct flame/heat and creates a vortex. But back to the question, you need to know what the temp is at the blade you have in the heat. The TC cased in a ceramic sleeve will give the truest reading at the work level!

Mine sets in a V groove, cut into the fire brick that line the bottom of the forge. It is encased in a ceramic sleeve where the blade when laying flat on the firebrick can slide across the TC. The top of the ceramic sleeve is flush to the top of the brick!

That's a great idea! Im going to order a ceramic sleeve and set it up the way you suggest thanks!

a couple of thoughts. you didn't show inside dimensions. could you put a piece of 4"x 2"(or 3x2 or 3x1) tube in the middle of the forge? this would act as a muffle and temperature inside should not change much as the burner goes on and off. inside the muffle would be where you put the blade. and where you put the blade is where you want you thermocouple. i'm not interested in the temperature in the top of the forge, i want the temperature next to the blade. and here is the probe I would use http://www.mcmaster.com/#thermocouples/=10m2ges get the K type, ceramic insulated(in 2" pieces, so you can bend them), rated to 2300F. put the tip by the center of the blade

Back