where I can find leather material to make a sheath?

I am in Los Angelos right now.I'd like to make a leather sheath for my knife,anyone could tell me where i can find leather material?on-line purchasing is acceptable.thanks very much!
emily

tandy leather factory . com

tandy leather is probably the easiest one-stop-shop to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should check to see if they have a store in your area. Doing business with them online is good, and will get you what you need, but they usually have very helpful people in their store locations and even offer some free leatherworking classes in some locations.

Just a note on buying leather...... do yourself a favor and make sure you buy "Oak" or "Vegetable" tanned leather for knife sheaths. Its a few more cents per square foot, but if you buy the cheapest leather, its always "Chrome" tanned, meaning its tanned with Chromatic acid.

Ever see a knife with brass hardware that had green gunk all over it? That's the leftover acids in chrome tanned leather reacting with the hardware. Oak/Vegetable tanned leather does not do that. Oak/Vegetable leathers are also much easier to work and wet form, as well as hold their shape better then the chrome tanned leathers.

Just a note on buying leather...... do yourself a favor and make sure you buy "Oak" or "Vegetable" tanned leather for knife sheaths. Its a few more cents per square foot, but if you buy the cheapest leather, its always "Chrome" tanned, meaning its tanned with Chromatic acid.

Ever see a knife with brass hardware that had green gunk all over it? That's the leftover acids in chrome tanned leather reacting with the hardware. Oak/Vegetable tanned leather does not do that. Oak/Vegetable leathers are also much easier to work and wet form, as well as hold their shape better then the chrome tanned leathers.

I did not know that. See what a value this forum is? I buy veg tanned because that's what I've always read and heard, but I didn't know exactly why veg tanned was preferred.

tandy is a good source for leather. eBay has lots of choices. Boss Dog carries leather and sheath kits on his website. if there is one nearby, Hobby Lobby or Michael's both carry leather, the tools needed, and sometimes bags of scrap leather for very cheap(stuff to practice on)

Back