Wheeler W2 Fighter in Desert Ironwood

silver_pilate

I thought you guys might like to see something I just received. I was lucky enough to snag this off of BF's when it was posted. VERY excited to add this to my collection.

Here's the description Nick posted:

BLADE- W2, nearly 11" long, 1-7/8" wide at widest, and 0.330" thick at the guard (LOTS of distal taper)
GUARD- twisted 120 layer damascus
HANDLE- primo Desert Ironwood
SHEATH- tooled, veg tanned leather

This fighter was forged from 1-3/4" W2 roundstock. The differential hardening was done with time and temperature, but no clay. (Just FWIW- that doesn't mean it was an accident or easy, it's taken me about as much blood, sweat, and tears to get a bit of a grip on the no clay stuff as it did to learn to use clay). It was given a full etch/polish to show all the white, whispy, glistening stuff...

The guard was formed from 120-ish layer twist damascus (1084+15N20). I went for the typical sculpted guard shape I put on my fighters, but I rounded the top, scalloped the sides, and filed a 3/16" flute all the way around it. I give full credit for the scallop inspiration to Samual Lurquin! There's a 416 stainless, mirror polished spacer mated to the guard.

The handle was sculpted from a primo piece of Ironwood that I got from Chuck Bybee at Alpha Knife Supply several years ago. There's a domed 416 ss pin in there to "dot the i."

Sheath is several thin layers of veg tanned cowhide with fully tooled front, differential dye job, and assembled with a hand-sewn saddle stitch.

Thanks for looking!!!

----

So, something showed up at my door today.

055c5dbf-ce0c-4462-8ffb-a27543273706_zpsa161e0d3.jpg

:D

You can't open a custom with anything except another custom....which makes a quandary if this is your first one :confused:. Luckily, this isn't my first one :D.

IMG_0454-1_zpse39d001f.jpg

Oh...the anticipation!!

IMG_0456-1_zps03842e8f.jpg

IMG_0457_zpsfea4d010.jpg

IMG_0461_zpsab9a2715.jpg

IMG_0462_zps5700022c.jpg

--nathan

IMG_0466_zpsebbbe884.jpg

IMG_0472_zps9edebc50.jpg

Pictures really don't do the desert ironwood justice. Beautiful, dense burl.

IMG_0474_zpse0c4c19d.jpg

Sexy little @..

IMG_0481_zps6e95d386.jpg

I'm not the photographer that Nick is, so it's hard to do this knife justice.

IMG_0478_zps753579c8.jpg

IMG_0483_zpsfa2da927.jpg

IMG_0479_zps2c7ba565.jpg

IMG_0494_zpsfbf4dc59.jpg

IMG_0493-1_zps316ff046.jpg

The sheath work is really really good. Great finish, and very nice details. It fits nice and snug.

Being a fighter that's 1/3" thick at the ricasso :eek:, it's weighted a bit forward of the guard which will lend some impetus to any swing/blow. However, it's has a ton of distal taper, making it fast in the hand. The amount of action is this hamon is amazing to the point of distraction. There are clouds and ghosts and fuzzies everywhere (yes, that's technical hamon jargon). The handle shaping is sublime. I hope Nick doesn't mind too much, but I'm going to be referencing this handle a great deal as I move to doing more sculpted hidden tang handles. The fit up of the ricasso to the guard is perfect. This one has a sharpened clip as well as a very fine edge. It's a prickly "little" thing for sure.

Now after all those pics and nice talk, I'm sure some of you are thinking, "well sure it looks good, but can it perform." I don't buy a knife to be a safe queen. I buy a knife to use, and to use hard. I started with simple stuff like cutting paper. It will cut a floating page of 20-weight paper cleanly in two without a thought. I've got some videos of that I'll post later. Next, I took it out and started hacking up a 2x4 in the shop. Not a bit of edge rolling or chipping. I had some really tough old pine knots, so I baton'd the blade an through (hard to do with a sharpened clip), and it help up like a champ. I did a few car-hood penetrations followed by stabbing the tip into a cinder block about 10 times. There was a bit of edge damage following those two, but it still cut nicely. From there, I did a free-drop tip first into the concrete from 3.5 feet up. The tip didn't suffer at all, and I actually made a nice little indention in the concrete pad.

Ok....so none of that testing beyond paper cutting actually happened :D. This one IS going in the safe for my enjoyment, and someday for my son's enjoyment. However, if the zombie apocalypse every happens, it's getting strapped on to my hip along with all the handguns and ammo I have. ;)

I have seen some amazing work by a bunch of different smiths through the years at various shows. I can say without hesitation that this level of fit and finish is among the best. Are there those that can match it? Sure. But this in my mind is just about as good as it gets. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

--nathan

A few videos. Sorry, my cutting technique sucks and I need to drop about 40 pounds :D. Make that 20, since the camera adds 20 all by itself. And yes, I know that cutting paper is trite. This is 20 weight printer paper. And I let the paper go prior to cutting it. It takes good geometry and a very consistent cutting edge to cut through it cleanly in free fall.

[video=youtube;ieONQPAoXL8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieONQPAoXL8[/video]

--nathan

[video=youtube;C9JwnQwkp3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JwnQwkp3w[/video]

The last video probably shows the speed best.

--nathan

Nice knife to pick up for sure. It would be nice to see Nick post over here some I'm a big fan of his work.

A few videos. Sorry, my cutting technique sucks and I need to drop about 40 pounds :D. Make that 20, since the camera adds 20 all by itself. And yes, I know that cutting paper is trite. This is 20 weight printer paper. And I let the paper go prior to cutting it. It takes good geometry and a very consistent cutting edge to cut through it cleanly in free fall.

--nathan

It maybe trite to some jaded individuals but I could spend hours cutting free falling paper. Heck every time I sharpen a kitchen knife grocery receipts are sacrificed and made into ribbon. Awe inspiring knife and great video. Congrats.

Josh, I have a project I'm working on. It's a forged 5" hunter in Don's W2. I have the blade finished and heat treated with initial polish. I did a differential heat treat for a hamon, and it turned out ok. As soon as my Bump carbide file guide comes in, I'll square the shoulders, fit the tank, and bed the handle. I'm going with a nice maple burl and a sculpted handle.

IMG_0346_zps221a7e46.jpg

IMG_0356_zps40b29eb2.jpg

This will be my first completed knife in over 2 years.

--nathan

Looks fantastic to me. A little smokey for sure :)

The Wheeler influence is obvious in your design. Cant wait to see it finished out.

Life sure does happen doesn't it :)

Glad to see some fresh dust from the new shop reguardless.

-Josh

Beautiful piece. I've always admired Nick's work. He is truly an amazing craftsman.

Mmmmm I like. That's a very nice Wheeler knife, and your knife doesnt look too shabby so far either.

Just getting into Nicks work he is from Seattle and Todd was telling me they started around the same time. Todd said Nick makes a great knife so I have been looking at his work and now I got the wheeler bug. I want one. =;-{0>

Back