Whats in a hammer

Mark Andrews

I just started banging on a anvil and I have a old cross peen hammer my father gave me. But I have been looking around for other things I need and I come across some hammers that are around a $100 dollars that look kinda like what I have . So whats deal ? Is there a difference ?

There can be a difference in the feel of a well made hammer. But as a beginner it isn't likely you will notice a difference. I have been forging for a few years and doubt if I could feel a difference. Pick a hammer that feels good, isn't too heavy and hit what you want where you want. No matter what hammer you use just make sure to dress the face and not hit ANYTHING but hot steel with it.

Pick a hammer that feels good, isn't too heavy and hit what you want where you want. No matter what hammer you use just make sure to dress the face and not hit ANYTHING but hot steel with it.
This is great advice. Lots of people have access to my shop but nobody can touch my hammers. The biggest improvement I have been doing to my hammers is rounding the face. Most hardware store hammers have a flat striking face, which makes big divots if you don't strike the steel square. The round striking face is more forgiving on striking control. Any defect in your hammer face is directly imprinted into your work piece.

I used to think any hammer would do, heavier the better. Then I got to use one of Ed Caffrey's hammers and felt the difference. I'm not saying that you need a expensive hammer but sometimes quality tools will make a huge difference.

Keep an eye open at yard sales, e-bay, kijiji for blacksmithing tools. Sometimes there are some good deals to be had.

I like to have a soft face on my hammers. It will still be a lot harder than the austinized steel that I'm hitting with them and it's easier to reface a hammer than it is to reface an anvil. Different face shapes will move steel differently. Smaller hammers will give better control and will allow you to work longer. Small hammer are great for moving steel just a tad. Larger hammer will do some serious steel moving and are handy in supplying the power to things like hardy tools but you won't be able to use them as long. Custom made hammers are like custom made knives. The biggest difference between the price for one of them and a factory made hammer is in the amount of labor that has to go into making one. You just can beat the speed of a big drop hammer and mass production.

Doug

Hey thanks for the advice everyone ! I like quality tools. I like older hand tools the best. I just needed to be pointed in the right direction,

Mark

Back