What would you like to see in a Heat Treating Video

Mike, look for my thread titled heat treating data sheets for some good info. Thought it would be a good sticky, but I'll just have to bump it to the top everynnow and then.

--Nathan

Start with the basics, most firstimers don't have fancy equipment!

1080 is one of the most used by first timers and work up with the higher carbon steels.

Don't leave out anything no matter how minuscule as that is just what someone copying the video will do!
Beyond that I can't wait to see the video! Any idea of a time frame?
Be sure to post somthing to let us know when it's out!!:happy:

Walter Sorrels has a great video on Hamons , one of the best I have seen . He even tells you how many seconds for quench.
Walter is a teacher and it comes across in his video .

How bout a basic HT of !0XX steels using a forge? For the newbies getting started? The simple stuff isn't really simple until you KNOW how to do it!

Also, the proper set-up and placment of the kiln to quench, how far apart they should be, and explaining the amount of time the blade needs to be gotten into the quench, for newbs, I highly recommend doing several "dry" runs, or should I say "cold" runs, working out the potential problems that could arise BEFORE handling a 1500+ degree blade.

A basic to advanced video, starting with the 10XX steels AND explaining that all simple HC steels aren't created equal, 1095 isn't a beginner steel and does need extra attention where 1084 is the most forgving of them all. That knowledge for newbs is invaluable and offers them/us the best chance for success on their first try! Then advancing to the more difficult CPM steels, that would be great if it can be included in one video, but it sounds like it may take a series of videos to cover everything indepthly.

Don't underestimate that having a good looking presenter or narrator to explain things along the way, it's a GREAT selling point, I know I wouldn't want to look at my ugly mug demo'ing anything on video! Not that I wouldn't, it kinda sounds like fun!

Another good idea is focusing on ONE thing in a short video, that is precise and to the point, keeping the video short and being able to sell them cheap would help newbs on a budget be able to buy the ones they need, once they progress to the next stage, they buy the next video, while offering the entire set as an option. Either way it's great idea, and having it broken down to have series of videos that are budget minded, along with the more advanced full spectrum and ultimatley more expensive would be the best overall for all the different makers. Well, there's my 2 cents, Rex

What Doug said! New makers need to expect either failure or "ping" a large amount of the time with 1095. So, starting formulas, reasonable expectations, and good ways to evaluate outcome would all be helpful. Wayne Goddard and Kevin Cashen are both respected knife makers. Care to compare their heat treat advice?

I don't know of any knifemaking book that recommends 1084 - but it's sure tough to beat for being forgiving - and for performance for that matter. If this video ever gets made, I tink the K.I.S.S. principle would be most helpful. On a related note, I think Kim Breed may have done a video on heat treating carbon steel.

no progress, I shot some footage and was editing it and then we got to the point where we had to move the business into a warehouse and that just pushed it to the side. We will pick it back up again after the first of the year.

I also would like to see some HT recipes for common steel as a sticky. Whenever I visit a forum for the first time, I read the stickies!!! I get so frustrated whenever I go to do some HT and have to look up a recipe and find a dozen or more recipes for the same steel. Like when I went to HT some 0-1 recently. I googled "how to heat treat 0-1 tool steel" and it was quite confusing trying to figure out which recipe to follow. And let's not even talk about 1095!!!

Also some in depth info on 1095. There are so many makers out there turning out good knives in 1095 that I can't believe it's as hard to get the HT as correct as some say. My first knives were in 1095 and they turned out alright. But after reading how difficult it's suppose to be, I shied away from buying more.

I have Kevin Cashen's HT video from the ABS and it's good and informative. But there were a few areas where it went right over my head!!! I imagine I'm like a lot of people, just show me how to HT a knife in 1095, 1084 or 0-1 (and the others) and go easy on all the "ites". I really could care less, I just need to know the proper process for each steel. I don't want a Metallurgy course!

Now that's a Video I would shell out some cold hard cash for!!

Back