What type of vice is this?

Dan Seaver

KNIFE MAKER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTobu6Ah9w

I'm building a twisting machine and need a vice like the one in the video. Problem is I don't know what its called so I don't know where to buy one. I already have a ridgid 300 with a quick vice so I just need the vice on the left.

If I can't buy one I'll just build my own but I would prefer to buy one.

Thanks fellas,
-Dan

Looks like a yoke vise turned on it's side.

benchyokevise.jpg

The whole set up looks like a pipe threader that they are using to twist instead of thread.

Chuck, I've looked into a yoke vice for this but I think the vice they are using is a bit different.

Frstr8, that is exactly what it is. I have mine set up but need a good vice for it. Basically I need an excellent vice set on an axis so I can adjust to twist from 1/4" to 1"+ while keeping the bar centered. Modifying the vice will be easy but I gotta find a vice that will provide a lot of pressure.

I've played with various twisting machines in my own and many others' shops. My recommendation is to NOT use a vise...it's just something that gets in your way and takes a lot of time when you trying to twist a billet. Most people that I know have a slotted holder, with various size square inserts that have one side cut out.....basically something that is open on one side(usually the top), and is sized various sizes from 1 through 3" square in 1/2" increments. All you have to do is forge about 2" of one end into a specific size square, and slip it into the "die" of the correct size.....the other end of the billet goes into the twisting machine.
My feeling is that unless your trying to produce a large quantity of twist pattern on a regular basis, a "twisting machine" is more time, trouble, and money than its worth.

Well I found a video with a better view of that type of vice. Based on what I see I should be able to make one fairly easily.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfn6hg_pipe-thread-cutting-machine_tech

Ed, I've considered the method you mentioned but for the work I do a vice is the better choice. Also I gotta agree, a twisting machine isn't cheap or simple to set up correctly. For my shop work I some times need to do up to 500 twists in a day so for myself its a great tool.

Back