What "really" makes you take notice of a knife??

petie said "no stainless". Guess what man, I like a bunch of different types of steel for various reasons, but I'm not offended by you saying that. That's your choice! We're blessed today with the finest quality steels the world has ever known, in every category. Buy and use what you like, that's the whole point of custom gear.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't much give a hoot about the steel as long as it's a high grade (carbon, tool or stainless) that's been proven to make good knives. Wouldn't we all get bored silly if there was only one or two alloys to choose from?

design, quality of work, visual appeal, ergonomics, blade thickness usually closes the deal after the rest have been met

There are some knives that achieve eloquence by the inclusion of straight lines,
but I try to avoid them:it's too easy somehow,to make something look like a knife thru use of straight lines...
I am of the mind that "Nature abhors a straight line",
and She's a Master Crafter,so I try to follow suit.:D
(and,have you ever seen an animal that had straight claws,fangs or pincers?)

A Bowie will always get my attention.

I also love high end folders with an artistic flair. I am seeing some really beautiful art deco pieces lately. Most are beyond my means to buy but I still love looking at them.

The more I learn as a knifemaker the more I learn to appreicate the subtle details and the craftsmanship in fine knives. I tend to think about them inside out and consider what it took to make the knife. That sometimes impresses me more than the outward appearance.

Back