What power tool is used ...

I’ve seen it done with a broach. But the most accurate by far, is to use a wire EDM. A good operator can even control the U and W axis to give the guard a slight taper to the front so that metal is displaced when the guard is press fit, giving you an invisible gap.

I’ve seen it done with a broach. But the most accurate by far, is to use a wire EDM. A good operator can even control the U and W axis to give the guard a slight taper to the front so that metal is displaced when the guard is press fit, giving you an invisible gap.
Edm?

Depending on the size maybe you could use a jeweler's file. A wire feed is a choice. You can also have a small tip made for a sinker. That would work too. Good luck.

Electronic discharge machining. I’m not super familiar with it but it uses a wire to burn the cut instead of actually cutting it like with an end mill or something. The wire we use at work is .010” thick. There is also a type of edm machining that uses a electrode made of different materials, graphite is what I’ve seen used most commonly. The electrode is machined in the shape that you want to burn and it very, very slowly burns the shape. There are probably guys on here that are a lot more familiar with them so please elaborate if you want to. It’s been a few years since I’ve got to run one and that was in college so I didn’t get to do much of it...

Will this EDM also cut wood? I’m assuming no since this device must be current dependent, right?

What will do it in wood also, and, say, 4-5 inches deep? Lol y’all know what I’m asking, but I don’t know how to ask it hahaha. What will do “this” for me and accurately?

What’s the most efficient way to accurately create the hole for a hidden tang (not through) in both a piece of ss and the wooden handle? Is there such a beast? Actually I don’t even care about the guard... how does one make the holes in the wooden handles using a machine?

For wood a mortise machine might be the ticket if you could get a small enough bit.

EDM only works if the material is conductive.

For the handle it's not really about going deep enough. A milling machine is basically a very rigid precision drill press with an accurately movable table that uses bits that cut sideways instead of down (though depending on the style, will likely cut down as well). So you could get a milling bit long enough but you're going to lose rigidity out at the end of the bit (it could easily break) and you won't be able to see much of what's happening in there. It's probably do-able but I think it's more work than it's worth to try and do it on a milling machine.

I just use a drill press and drill a series of holes then come back with a rotary tool (foredom or dremel) with a long bit on the end and bore it out until it just fits the tang.

Last edited:

Like C Killgore says, a milling machine can be used as a very accurate drill press. What makes it accurate is the table is a geared X-Y table that can be positioned precisely. But what makes it so handy for guards is that you can feed the table sideways in a perfectly straight line. That’s how the end mill cutter makes a perfect slot.

The best video i’ve ever seen for making hidden tang handles is here:

This is exactly how I do it. Instead of the broach he uses, I took a wood chisel and ground it to the dimensions I need.

Back