What knives will be selling 5 years from now?

I disagree with trying to out smart knife laws. As soon as a maker focuses on designs to out smart laws, I personally believe his designs will immediately make the front cover of our less liked and extremely cheap mail order catalogs which focus on the knock-off import knives made to rip off tried and true designs by hard working makers. Most knife nuts I know personally, are law obiding patriots.

Being only 16, I hope that my views will have some impact in this conversation... just some of my observations and thoughts... Folding knives will be popular. Everything is becoming more and more convenient. People will want a knife that is easy to carry around, and possibly conceal from freaking out the other people. However, if criminals begin mugging people more and more, hefty tactical fixed blades would be nice to carry around (next to the 9mm, of course).

There is also a shift toward everything becoming either "retro" or "futuristic". This may or may not impact knives, but retro/classic cars are still becoming popular, along with retro style furniture. Stainless steel appliances still seem to be on the rise in popularity. Curved shapes are common in futuristic designs. There are also many dual purpose things now, so multitools may become more popular.

I, personally, am a huge fan of linerlock knives. I'd love to see them continue in the next few years, or until a different locking mechanism comes out.

But, knives are still knives. Been around since rocks could be sharp, changed materials, but the basic function has not changed. It cuts. I don't see much changing, other than the convenience of folding knives picking up.

Mike Jones you may be young in age but I am one that believes your thoughts are sound and what you have said will be there in the future. Frank

OK my .02. What comes around goes around. Just look at the clothing market and all the retro cars out right now. Knives will be here for many years to come and some styles will fade but will never go out. Yes I think women are the future market. They out number men 10 to 1. Look at the gun makers right now, pink, blue red or what ever color you want. Hunting and fishing are on the decline because of video games and computers. Hunters and fishing persons will always be around but it is fading. Lost art and loosing ground every year. We as makers need to watch and learn from other industries on how to keep up and how to evolve. Too many times as people we get stuck in a rut and don't see what is going on around us. Right now the industry is hurting, but hopefully it will bounce back. Once that happens the up swing will happen and the ones that were watching and trying new things will be ahead just as always. Just think about how many makers you have known and are not making knives anymore. So down to what I think will be around is kitchen, collectables in colored damascus, folders and fixed. Mostly everything but smaller sizes.

Back