What is the most difficult step of knifemaking for you?

Great Question fun to read all the things we love and hate about knives......I am surprised no one that I saw mentioned sharpening???

Sharpening!?!?! Except for the fact that I take so freakin long to sharpen one, that is the best part to me, because I find out for sure if I did everything right, if I'm going to have that scary sharp edge. And then I get to "test" it to see if it will be able to cut 3, 5 or 10 water bottles!!! Not the most fun in th winter time, but quite refreshing in the Alabama HEAT!
Rex

For me since, I make lots of japanese blades are the fittings fuchi / kashira and habaki. I guess polishing/sharpening knives with waterstones is second

Last edited:
I should try that up here in the balmy 10-degree weather :D

I told you about our weather, last month we were in the teens and 20's, on New Years day it was high 50's, this week it's been on the high 50's to low 60's, tomorrow their talking about ice and a mention of snow, probably not as for South as I am but most likely up North Alabama! Like I keep saying if you don't like the weather here, stay a little while it will change! Rex

I told you about our weather, last month we were in the teens and 20's, on New Years day it was high 50's, this week it's been on the high 50's to low 60's, tomorrow their talking about ice and a mention of snow, probably not as for South as I am but most likely up North Alabama! Like I keep saying if you don't like the weather here, stay a little while it will change! Rex

I'm right there with ya Rex. Nadine called me at lunch yesterday telling me we had more snow back home. The weather here in Mississippi was in the low 50s. We had a 4 mile battalion run this morning and the forecast was calling for mid 20s. Luckily, it was 34 when I got to PT at 0520. It felt like it was 20 though.

Back