What belts?

bushcraftbasics

What's up dogs? Kidding, but seriously, I just got a kmg 3speed grinder with flat platen, 10" wheel and 5/8" small wheel...my question to you is what grits/belts would you deem without a doubt necessary for making blades out of 1/8"-3/16" 1084?

thanks in advance,

bcb

I use 50, 120, 400 and then go to hand sanding. Which brand seems to be a personal choice based on experience, grinding technique, and price point. True Grit has been a great resource for many.

Here's what I use:
36 grit for heavy duty material removal
60 grit,This would be my go to belt can remove a lot of material just not as quick as a 36 and you can get a fair amount of finesse out of a 60 if you watch what you are doing.
120 grit I usually finish off my rough work with one of these, seems to make post heat treat operations go quicker.
All of the above are ceramic belts

220 Here is where I find myself starting for finishes and more intricate/delicate finesse.
400 To remove 220 marks/scratches and fine touch operations.
600 my go to finishing belt.

I usually don't do high shine knives, mine usually get a scotch bright belt for a brushed finish or bead blasted after 600 grit.

I use 36, 60, 120, 400,600 grit belts or sometimes it's to 120g then Scotchbrite belts for finishing.

I like VSM belts and Best value belts from Trugrit Ontario.

Have fun!

Thank you all very much...I'll be belt shopping on Monday, and hopefully get my shop into working order by next weekend!

Back