What abrasives are you guys using on your disc grinder

John Barker

SUPERModerator & KNIFE MAKER
As the title says, what abrasives are you guys using on you disc grinder for Ti frames and for your Blades?
Thanks!
-John

I do mainly "finish" work on my disc, and most of the time it's 400 grit or finer. I use 9x11" sheets of either Norton Black Ice, or RhynoWet from Supergit. I use both because the Black Ice is Slicon Carbide, and the RhynoWet is Aluminum Oxide....each has it's own advantages for particular things.

Hi, I use the 9" X 11" silicon carbide paper on mine, either German made or 3m products. mostly do the flats on my blades starting with 120 grit, then going directly to 400 grit. Then the finish is easy to continue with hand sanding. also use the same procedure for the flat radius grind on my handles, finishing up with hand sanding. I use the Duro spray adhesive, seems to have the right amount of sticky without leaving paper stuck to your disc.
Sincerely,
Sampson Knifeworks

I use Norax 9" disc's I had custom made from Nortons a few years back. They are pricey as can be but work really well on the flats getting the finish I want. For major metal removal, I'm not sure I am satisfied with anything out there. I am talking to my Norton rep to get some Blaze discs. I'll check on that and let you know.

Ive been using a 50 grit blaze disc on some tappered tangs and they are awesome. Hopefully boss can get some in soon. The only other one i seen was a 120. I picked mine up at trugrit.

I buy the "job pack" Norton 100 for cleaning up nasty ti frames and blades after heat-treat. Also good for natural materials at slower speeds (mine is always running pretty slow). I then use 3M Imperial wet-dry 220 on flats and ti frames for more finishing. I get that from auto paint supply places. I used to use the expensive 3M spray adhesives, but they were just too sticky and would make it impossible for the sandpaper to come off if on for more than a couple of days. I now use the 3M "General Purpose 45" and it works great.

I have been using Blaze 60 and 120 grit PSA discs to get everything flat, then I use Norton Black Ice 220 and 440 to finish everything. For adheasive, I have been using the feathering adheasive Tracy sells and it works great ( After I finally read the directions.)
-John

Back