Weather

Freds Edge

I look at the shop from the house and knowing it's only 15 degree's , can't be to positive about heading out. I have a wood stove but when it's under 20 degree's it's effectiveness is not the greatest.IMG_3348.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I went outside last night about 2230 and worked for about 1 1/2 hours because it was the only time I could steal away. It was negative 5F and my hater was out of diesel! Kind of dumb, but I was getting stir crazy.

-6 here with a wind chill of -25 to -30!! To cold to do anything. But hunker down and try to stay warm!!

It's been too cold for too long for these old bones to go out in my un-heated garage to do anything.

Been living in Northwestern Oregon for almost 40 years. The past week or two we have been under extreme fire danger. Up until today which is now raining its been bone dry with high winds. Highs in the mid 40's. I just hope this rain sticks around. Snow levels were 20% of normal a few weeks ago in the mountains.

Tried to get some work done today, a balmy 22 degrees here... I lasted all of 20 minutes. When you can't feel your fingers, it is to cold to do knifework.

Cold enough tonight to air quench W2.

It got to a balmy sunny 3 degrees today for a high, wind chill in the sub 30's........I really wish it would warm up to the state's average winter temp of 17 degrees. That would be a welcome sight.

Peter

Ok guy's I'm just going to chalk this up to "youthful" enthusiasm or mental illness. Quench bucket frozen solid, ground two knives and had a blade shaped impression filled with melt water from laying it on the ice to cool off. Had frost on the outside of my respirator and couldn't feel my feet........ I guess I got it bad cause I went and did it again the next day.

17 below this morning and that is the warmest morning temp of the week. It's been hovering around 0 - 5 degrees for the daytime highs. I wonder how many hits my anvil horn would take before it fell of, lol.

I had the same problem here in eastern Oregon. My quench bucket froze. I replaced it with a mix of water and antifreeze. No more issues with that!

My shop has a metal roof with insulation on the inside; when I try to get enough heat to work; the roof drips on everything below. Guess its back to the easy chair for a bit.

It will break; its got to, doesn't it?

Most think I am crazy ... and maybe I am just a little touched,and though I know it's got to be colder than I could ever imagine.. I would love to try living in the northern parts just one complete season.. If I couldn't take the cold I could always come back South.. Stay warm my brothers

God bless

Back