We have lost one of the great names in knives. R.I.P. Bob Loveless

The sun rises,and the sun sets... all things have their time,
and imo, we were lucky that Mr. Loveless shone on the Knife Community for such a long time.
I don't feel we've 'lost'...we've all gained what he gave with such Passion and Commitment.
The sun has just gone down,that's all.
He didn't "write the book",but his character,spirit,skill and generosity inked some of the biggest pages
in modern knifemaking...
I've read about him for over 1/2 my life,but never had the honor of meeting him,
and that will be one of the few regrets I'll ever know.
Thank you Mr.Loveless, for all you have given to us that follow.

Last edited:
R.I.P Bon Loveless...gone but nevr forgotten!

I just got the message on my email from Dr. Jim Hrisoulas, kinda shocked really. For those that have never had the priviledge to hold one of his knives, they are amazing, you can sit there for hours picking it apart, just to se how well, how perfect the fit and finish, I guess perfection sums his work up, I was totally amazed with his makers mark, I sat there for hours at my first Blade Show, 2009. It was one of the naked ladies, he did so perfectly, with the front of her on one side and her back on the other, the thing that was so amazing is that it was lined up PERFECTLY. I kept sitting there turning back and forth, trying to find a spot that wasn't at least close, that knife was the most perfect knife I have ever held. We lost a good one today, His legacy is made, he will never be forgotten. And his inspiration will live on as well, through all of us, who try to get close to his perfection. I've never taken the drop point blade for granted, I always give credit to the invotator of that one, I just hope I do it justice. We all owe him for his work, may we all do our best to repay out thanks, the best we can, Rex

When watching his video it seemed that his goal was to make a good knife that would last 100 years. I think his knives will last until the Lord returns.

The sun rises,and the sun sets... all things have their time,
and imo, we were lucky that Mr. Loveless shone on the Knife Community for such a long time.
I don't feel we've 'lost'...we've all gained what he gave with such Passion and Commitment.
The sun has just gone down,that's all.
He didn't "write the book",but his character,spirit,skill and generosity inked some of the biggest pages
in modern knifemaking...
I've read about him for over 1/2 my life,but never had the honor of meeting him,
and that will be one of the few regrets I'll ever know.
Thank you Mr.Loveless, for all you have given to us that follow.

I've been reading about Mr. Loveless ever since I discovered the knife publications:
for over 20 years I've watched as he,and a handful of other pioneers,blazed a path for generations of knife makers.
Though I don't have a personal connection with him, and never communicated in any way, he has had an impact on me...
His Integrity,Honor, Generosity and his commitment to his Passion are like a guiding light that will never dim.
His sun may have set on us for the final time,
but it will rise again on another horizon.
The evening I read of his Passing, I went to a friend's house and on the way saw this,
the most beautiful sunset I've seen in a while, and thought it was fitting somehow:
The sun touching me briefly,just before slipping below the horizon...

IMG_0422-2.jpg

Last edited:
I didnt know him,never met him! But when you think of custom knives,the 1st name that comes to mind.
Robert W Loveless.

Bob Loveless certainly secured his place as a legendary knifemaker. When I think of the pioneers of modern knifemaking there are a few names that always rise to the top, Bill Scagel, Bo Randall, Bill Moran, Gil hibben. Then there those who took the basic tools and refined them such Loveless did or those like WW Cronk or Buster Warenski who pushed the envelope and blurred the lines between knives and art. It is a small group of talented craftsmen who paved the road for thousands who followed their path.

RIP Bob. Thank you for your inspiration. Prayers are with the family and friends. Just think Bob is chatting it up with Bo, Jimmie. Bob Lum, Buster and the rest. That is one hell of of a Hammer in.

RIP Bob. We have lost one of the greatest and my idol. Thoughts an prayers to
the family.

We have lost a great knife maker, he had a lot of influence on my knife making, have his book the first four knives that i ground on my owne were drop point loveless hunters, I still have one will find it and post a picture. Deane

I started making knives while overseas under the tutelage of John Shore who was in my unit. I was heavily influenced by both John's and Bob Loveless' style. His contribution is to knifemaking is as huge as his legend. Godspeed Bob.

Just think Bob is chatting it up with Bo, Jimmie. Bob Lum, Buster and the rest. That is one hell of a Hammer in.

You sure got that right, brother. I'm very humbled when I think of how hard those men and many others worked, to make it easy for us young pups today to learn. We truly stand on the shoulders of giants.

RIP and THANK YOU!

Sad news. What an inspiration to so many in the knife world. God bless his family.
BruceM

Back