Watching customer reations to your work...

Self Made Knives

Well guys, I just delivered my first actual "sold" knife. Before now, they have all been gifts or squirreled away to my own stash. As I handed it over the new owner, a group of several other coworkers gathered around to see the new toy.

My customer was really into it and he gave an unprompted sales pitch to everyone, with me only having to chime in every once in a while. So, I just listened. I tried to listen to what the guys were saying and I tried to figure out what their eyes were drawn to.

Kind of surprising to me. You know that 2000 grit scratch that looks like a giant crater to you? They don't see it. You know how that one jimping notch that is about 0.002 off from the one next to it? They don't see it. You know how that kydex sheath could be just a little better? They don't see it.

I'm not saying skimp on quality! I tend to be a little of a perfectionist and I'm never 100% satisfied with anything. But, I do feel a little relieved that the average buyer isn't looking at it through the microscope of a maker. Only other bad thing to come of it is now I have orders for 8 more just like it. I know, I asked for it.

Its always a "warm and fuzzy" feeling when a client handles one of your knives and gets that "look of ecstasy" on their face. :) Makes it even better when others want one too!

Just keep trying to make each one a little "better" then the last one.....and everything else will fall into place. Congrats on your first "sale"!

Thanks Ed! I'm getting a little overwhelmed already, I should've had my coming out party after Christmas. A ton of people are asking me to make them one for a gift, but I'm just not fast enough or have enough free time to meet their orders. I'll bet on Dec. 26th the requests will suddenly taper off. Do you guys that sell a lot always have a big surge at the end the year?

In just 24 hours after announcing my first available model and price (which now I think is too low), I've already got a waiting list for 11 knives! Amazing.

Historically, Christmas and Tax time are two of my busiest times of the year. Next in line is 30-45 days AFTER a major knife show. Do yourself a favor and make sure when you quote delivery dates, that you build in some "padding"....otherwise "life" is gona pop up, and when you find yourself working like a mad man, it will quickly take the joy outta making knives. I've been there a couple of times in my career, and nearly quit one of those times.

With your first orders....now comes the time when you see if you're charging enough for your work.....generally if you're paying for supplies, plus whatever margin you dictate for yourself, you're doin OK. If you're getting lots of orders, and find that you're either not paying for everything, and/or not making the margin you want, then you're charging to little.

For reasons that I cannot explain, its always been acceptable to "bump up" your prices in the custom knife world, but dropping a price seems to be "the kiss of death". That is if you intend to do this long term.

Congratulations Anthony! I am still in "squirreled away in my own stash" mode. I would love to see a few pictures of your first sale knife!

- Jason

Anthony, Congratulations! I had a similar occurrence earlier this year. I used to be a Silversmith and made Native American jewelry. When I changed over to knifemaking I didn't tell any one, I just started making knives. The first ones weren't so great so I just put the one I finished away and started on another one. One day in late October one of my jewelry customers stopped by to see what I had been working on. All I could show her was knives. She bought one for her husband and by the end of October I had seven orders due by Christmas. I have delivered three of them, one is finished and the other three are well along but it has been a hectic month and a half. Another observation: I think I have found that a little bit of the enjoyment I get out of building knives is diminished a bit when the knife is pre-sold and I'm trying to meet a deadline. I'm going to limit the number of orders I get by raising my prices on a pre-sold knife. I love what Travis Fry does - mostly he finishes them and then they are for sale. Just my thoughts,

Wallace

Congratulations man! It was not to long ago I did the same and it is a good feeling.
Like the others have said I had to turn down several people before Christmas because as a part timer I just could not meet the deadline....heck I'm sweating the ones I still have to finish.

Congratulations Anthony! I am still in "squirreled away in my own stash" mode. I would love to see a few pictures of your first sale knife!

- Jason
My first sold knife is in the week 2 photo contest post. I'm finishing up another one now to deliver Monday. That sale will restock my kydex and belts. I've kept a very detailed log on exactly how much time is spent on each step of making and I have costs detailed to the penny. I realize I'm an unknown in this craft, but I think my quality is pretty high, just trying to balance all that for a price that makes sense.

Last edited:
Well guys, I just delivered my first actual "sold" knife. Before now, they have all been gifts or squirreled away to my own stash. As I handed it over the new owner, a group of several other coworkers gathered around to see the new toy.

My customer was really into it and he gave an unprompted sales pitch to everyone, with me only having to chime in every once in a while. So, I just listened. I tried to listen to what the guys were saying and I tried to figure out what their eyes were drawn to.

Kind of surprising to me. You know that 2000 grit scratch that looks like a giant crater to you? They don't see it. You know how that one jimping notch that is about 0.002 off from the one next to it? They don't see it. You know how that kydex sheath could be just a little better? They don't see it.

I'm not saying skimp on quality! I tend to be a little of a perfectionist and I'm never 100% satisfied with anything. But, I do feel a little relieved that the average buyer isn't looking at it through the microscope of a maker. Only other bad thing to come of it is now I have orders for 8 more just like it. I know, I asked for it.

Yes it's a great feeling to delivery your first knife, I will never forget that feeling and the many other "Warm Fuzzies" as Ed has called it.

Do give yourself some padding on deliveries as Ed also mentioned and if people start backing out of the deal because you say it will take such & such time? Just Let them. I learned the hard way trying to please others to their time tables is a recipe to mutual unhappiness!

If you can, Make two of an order instead of just one so you have an inventory of a knife so when its delivered if anyone says Hey! I want one, Well, I happen to have this one ready to go! If they can get instant gratification.Great! If not, I say it will be so many more months, A lot of times they sudden don't care as much that its this handle on the Chef knife instead of the, that handle like their friend just received.

Have FUN!

Back