Wannabe knife maker/Knives from Files oppinions or tips ?

southbayrik

I am a wannabe knife maker. I have no equipment, so I am basically filing files with files to achieve these type of things. Its a lot of work and I know I can do better with a few pieces of equipment but I was kind of looking for some opinions from people who know what they are talking about. Any criticisms are appreciated.

Attachments

• P1030385.jpg
    P1030385.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 87
  • P1030388.jpg
    P1030388.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 84
  • P1030391.jpg
    P1030391.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 246529_466881410018565_1475874598_n.jpg
    246529_466881410018565_1475874598_n.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 253090_466881290018577_991961991_n.jpg
    253090_466881290018577_991961991_n.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 78
Looks like you're persistant with the hand work and it's paying off. I think you're starting the right way with all hand work, it gives you a better understanding and sometimes better options than using all machinery. I have a freind who wants to make knives who uses my shop, the deal is that he makes 3 different knives by hand before he can use my grinders, band saws or forge. He already appreciates what it takes just after one 3" bladed knife, next is a 4" hunter and then a smallish bowie. He'll pee his pants when he gets to use the machines, but he will already know that they're not essential.

Rudy

Last edited:
Solid work and nice array of designs. I agree with Rudy that starting out with minimal tools will give you a better understanding of how to work the steel. I started with files and I'm glad for the experience. But the machines will vastly increase your efficiency! ;)

To me those knives look, and I am quoting myself here, "Frigging Awesome!", seriouly! By the looksof those blades it looks like you have an eye for design, and knowing "how" you made them makes me appreciate them all the more! Greta job! Anyone who has made a knife the hard way will appreciate those knives there. And what's more amazing to me is that don't look like they were made that way, looking forward to seeing MORE! Rex

Rik,
I started with just files like what you are doing and you are doing some great work!

You may have seen him? Jenso I think the man's names is? he is northern European and your blue knife looks a lot like one of his? He also started and still makes all of his knives with files as far as I know? I moved on to using Stainless steel stock and a couple of 2 x72" belt grinders years ago.

You have a cool thing here and there is no reason to change unless you want to?
If you keep the designs small you can still produce a decent amount of knives by elbow grease.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I too started making knives using files. It's a lot of work, but it will definitely help you decide if knife making is for you.
You are doing real well. Keep it up and the will, will find a way.

It took me a little while to get back here, but I wanted to thank everyone for the encouraging words and I definitely plan to keep at it.

They look great keep up the good work. I have been making for a couple of years off and on when time permits. I still do it the hard way with files the only "power tools" that i use is an air powered die grinder for cutting out what does not look like a knife. I am however getting ready to start a 2x72 grinder build.

Back