Vibratory Tumblers - Anybody use them?

Drew Riley

Hey guys,
I was curious if any of you use vibratory tumblers to clean/finish your blades. I've got some small neck knives I make from time to time, and I figure it'd be an easy way to knock the scale and sharp corners off after heat treat.

Thoughts? Experiences?

How about stone wash finishes? Anybody use them for this purpose?

They're used in industry to deburr parts because they're very good at rounding external edges and corners, which is where the burrs are. They don't do as much to the flats. If you like nice crisp grind lines, be aware this process washes them out fairly quickly.

With the right media they are also used for polishing, but for a knife you'll get better results using a buffing wheel.

They won't remove heavy scale, but they will remove heat color.

They wont remove or hide grinding sins very well.

They are good at applying a nice, non directional bright satin finish. I like it a lot better than grit blast because it looks better, is more durable, and doesn't promote rust as badly.

I experimented with different media and found that only media designed specifically for vibratory tumbling worked very well. Sand, stone, bbs with grit etc didn't work well.

Flat things like knives are bad about finding each other in the tumbler, paring up and sticking together. When this happens, only one side of the part gets finished, leading to some strange looking parts. You have to run a nut and bolt through a tang hole so they can't stick together.

The little units for polishing brass cartridges don't have enough balls for optimum results.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight Nathan.

I was gonna grab one of the 18 lb. capacity models from Harbor Freight to experiment with, but after giving it more thought, I think I need to spend the money on some lumber for a heavy workbench or two. They'd get much more use right now anyway... hahah

Thanks for the insight Nathan.

I was gonna grab one of the 18 lb. capacity models from Harbor Freight to experiment with, but after giving it more thought, I think I need to spend the money on some lumber for a heavy workbench or two. They'd get much more use right now anyway... hahah

What type of workbench do you have in mind? I've build one and am starting another soon and though the first was quite simple and super sturdy, I'm always open to suggestions.

What type of workbench do you have in mind? I've build one and am starting another soon and though the first was quite simple and super sturdy, I'm always open to suggestions.

I'm trying to keep it simple, but very heavy and sturdy at the same time.

Materials will be 2x4s and 2x6s for the frame, and the top will be 3' x 8' x 3.5" thick. To make the top, I'm using 4 layers of 1/2" plywood and the bottom will have 2x6s face screwed so that I can get the full 3.5" thickness. I'll then put 2x4 banding around the edges to protect/cover the sides of the ply and the 2x6s.

Also, the top will over hang the base by 6" or so on the front and back, and about 12" on the left and right so I'm able to clamp things to the table and more easily mount vices and such.

I'll probably post some kind of basic tutorial/plans in the tutorial section when I'm done.

Check this workbench out. I've built one and it was very easy to modify as well as it being super sturdy and heavy.

View attachment 26289

Not a bad looking design. Very similar to an idea I have for another bench for the other side of my shop.

I did finish my workbench I was speaking of in my earlier post, and MAN IS IT HEAVY!

I'm a pretty stout guy (about 5'10"/250lbs) and it was about all I could do to lift/slide/shimmy it into place once I had everything together. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pushing 350/400 lbs empty. Super solid and sturdy, and that's how I wanted it.

I just hope I don't have to move it any time soon... ;)

Back