VFD what to look for?

ibhotrod

Hi Guys, I'm in the process of making a KMG clone and recently picked up a motor to use. I got a good deal on a 2hp 3ph motor with 3400 rpm. I am now looking to get a VFD. What should I look for? Is there a manufacturer to stay away from? I'm thinking 115 volts in to 230 volts out. I do have 230 in my garage but it is on the opposite side of garage to my work bench so 115 in would make it a little more versatile as to where I set it up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've used, and tried to help many others with all sorts of different VFD units. Personally, the only one/brand that I will use in my shop are the KBAC VFDs....... they are simply built better, easier to install, and work better then any of the other brands I've dealt with. Personally I really hate those versions/brands that have the small "touch" buttons on them...... they have terrible "lag" on both speed up, and slow down...... and in my experience they seem to be very sensitive to steel dust.....which is always plentiful in my shop. :)

I've purchase several VFDs from this outfit, and have been very happy with their services and products: http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/

I believe the KBAC-27D is what you'll need for that motor..... make sure you check the specific VFD's input (the power going into the VFD), and the output (the power it puts out to the motor) and match those factors to your power supply and motor.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I'm in the process of making a KMG clone and recently picked up a motor to use. I got a good deal on a 2hp 3ph motor with 3400 rpm. I am now looking to get a VFD. What should I look for? Is there a manufacturer to stay away from? I'm thinking 115 volts in to 230 volts out. I do have 230 in my garage but it is on the opposite side of garage to my work bench so 115 in would make it a little more versatile as to where I set it up. Any help is greatly appreciated.
In searching, the largest drive I have found in 115vac is 1.5hp. here is a good example of what you can find in 240vac http://www.ebay.com/itm/2HP-LEESON-...163879?hash=item3aac9e6127:g:6GIAAOSw~gRViI67 I would stay away from "No Name" drives. A Leeson drive that i linked to is designed for industrial applications where it will run 24/7 and last 5+ years. other "Names" Allen Bradley, ABB, Siemens, TECO, Toshiba, Hitachi, GE/Fuji
i would run an extension cord from outlet to your bench.

Check out my web-site. You can run the KBAC 27D with a 2 hp motor at 115v. This drive is in a NEMA 4X enclosure, which means that it is dust proof and water proof when installed correctly. To my knowledge it is the only VFD sold in a NEMA 4X enclosure. I also sell a wiring kit which includes an 8' molded power cord, cable glands for the dust/water proof connections, 4 conductor cable for between the VFD and motor, wire nuts, and my one page wiring and set up instructions.

Let me know if I can help you.

Thanks for the replies! It gives me a starting place. I will check out your page Wayne and thanks for the input.

Back