Variable Speed KMG wiring help

Lore

I just unboxed my new Variable Speed KMG-10 and I'm having a little trouble figuring out the electrical wiring.
I have the 2 hp motor but I will be running it on standard 110 until my shop is wired for 220.
The site says the motor will run at a max of 1.5 hp when connected to standard 110.
I've followed the diagrams and made most of the connections but there is 1 thing I'm unsure about and I'm afraid to just take a wild guess and risk burning something out.

The KMG site says to "Set the motor Horse Power jumper for the appropriate motor size."
My motor size is 2 hp but since I'm running it on standard 110 the motor will only produce a max of 1.5 hp.
So, do I set the jumper at 1.5 or 2?
The photo below shows that the little red plastic cap is in the "1.5" jumper. Do I leave it there or do I move the red plastic cap to the jumper marked "2"?
kmg2.jpg

I tried to call Beaumont Metalworks but I guess they're closed for Labor Day Weekend. I really don't want to stare at this grinder for the next 2 days until I can get them on the phone. I want to start grinding some metal! Help!

Attachments

• kmg1.jpg
    kmg1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 8
Set the hp at 2 hp and the volts to 115v and don't worry about getting the 230 outlet. The grinder will run just fine that way, you should have gotten an 1800 rpm motor and then change the J4 jumper to 2X and the motor will run up to 3600 rpm. Induction rated motors are rated for this type service.

Wayne, Thanks for the reply. I've set the hp jumper to 2 and the volts to 115v.
The motor says 3450 rpm (not 1800 rpm). Do I still need to switch the J4 jumper to 2X?
The Beaumont site never mentions the J4 jumper.

kmg3.jpg

With 3450 rpm and a 4" drive wheel, you have 3611 sfpm. If you need more sfpm get the BMW 6" drive wheel and you'll have 5416 sfpm. Some belts are meant for speeds above 5000 sfpm. Did you get the more from BMW or did you buy it on the side from another vendor?

Another option for increased speed would be to change the drive shaft pulley to a smaller one and this would increase the sfpm.

The issue you're going to have with that motor (3450 rpm) on a VFD is the torque. I recently learned that with a 3450 motor on a VFD, your torque is going to be literally cut in 1/2. It won't make a lot of difference with light grinding, but it's gona become very noticable when you start "hogging" on the machine. Just for future reference, when setting up a motor/VFD combo, it's almost a must to purchase a low speed motor (1725-1740 rpm), then when wiring, set the speed jumper to 2X.

A problem that a lot of folks have relayed to me lately is finding a low rpm motor that has the correct shaft size (5/8"). Seems there are governement regulations relating to HP and shaft size on electric motors..... I found a company online which has outstanding prices on many 5/8" shafted Leeson motors http://www.ptjindustrial.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1848. I think it's also important to note that many of the import motors are now using alumium windings instead of copper. There reason I mention this is that I recently built a couple of grinders.....one with an import motor, and the other with a Leeson motor (both the same HP), when handling them, the import was noticeably lighter in weight. I got curious and cracked the cases on each.....aluminum windings in the import, and copper in the Leeson. With the prices listed on the previous website for a Leeson motor with copper windings, theres no reason to settle for an inferior import with aluminum windings.

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their knowledge. I hope I'll be able to return the favor in a few years. I'll post a photo once I get it all set up.
@PT Doc: I purchased the Variable Speed KMG-10 Package so all of my parts, Leeson motor included, are from BMW. The only things I had to buy elsewhere were the power cord & some bolts to fasten the base plate to my worktable. I'm sure I could have saved some bucks by sourcing parts from other vendors but my electric, machining & fabrication skills are limited so I decided to get a turn key grinder and save myself some frustration. I wanted to make sure that everything was compatible. BMW has a great reputation for customer service. I wanted to be able to call someone if I ran into any problems so they could walk me through it... Labor Day weekend threw a wrench into that idea.

My bad if they are, but ever Leeson motor I've ever owned has a Made in USA label on it.....including the newest one in the shop. The point being, if I can get a quality copper wound motor for anywhere near what I'd pay for one that might or might not have aluminum windings......I'm gona go with the copper windings.

I did a quick internet search on Lesson....here's what I found:

LEESON's 48 and S56 frame AC motors are manufactured in a state-of-the-art facility in West Plains Missouri and Juarez, Mexico. In the western Wisconsin city of Black River Falls, LEESON manufactures 56 and 140T frame standard AC motors. Larger frame standard AC motors manufactured in Monterrey, Mexico, Lebanon, MO, and Wausau, WI. Our gear reducers are assembled and manufactured in Union Grove, Wisconsin. Permanent magnet direct current motors, built to NEMA and IEC metric dimensions, are the focus of LEESON's facility in Lincoln Missouri. And our plant in Hanover, Ontario is dedicated to short-run specials—particularly multi-speed designs—for U.S. and Canadian customers.

There is a little known fact about the Made in the USA labels. They can import the parts and assemble them here and they are "Made in the USA". Also there is a another rule that says that if a certain percent of an item is made in the USA it can be labeled "Made in the USA". This includes the labeling, packing material and the box. To my knowledge Balder is the only motor truly "Made in the USA" .

It seems that the standard motor with the package you got is 3450 rpm. I personally bought my own motor and went with a Baldor 3hp super e. RPM is 1750 and this was what was recommended in all y readins on the forums. If Rob supplies the 3450 motor then it must be a good option.

For $284 extra above the 2hp package you could get the 3hp package.

I checked with both of my motor suppliers and both responded that their windings are copper.
The maker of the cast aluminum motors that I sell also make the motors for Balder for their Europe and Asian markets.

Back