Using hard rubber as scales

Greetings!
I am interested in using hard rubber as scales, what is the best way to fasten them ? Contact cement ?

Thanks for any advice and Merry Christmas to all!

Contact cement won't work on steel.

An industrial cyanoacrylate is your best bet for most real rubbers (not rubberized thermoplastics). I have used 3M Pronto CA40 for this. Both surfaces should be cleaned with solvent. It takes about a week for the CA to fully cure under these conditions.

Yup ide bolt um up with corby or other simular. Im sure over time the rummber would let go . the glue wont but the rubber could under UV . Kellyw

I second the CA glue or epoxy plus rivets approach. Rivets protect CA from sheer force that is the weakest part of its holding ability. its vulnerability, I guess you would say. Epoxy is a little better, but not a lot. I don't know that one would be better or worse than the other with hard rubber.

I would use rivets, or something like them, for sure. I just tend to like rivets. You can peen the heck out of them over rubber, too. I would just use careful countersinking to let the peening of the rivet head really push the rubber down. just me.

let us see the results.
kc

I'd be tempted to go with cutler or compression rivets which have a large diameter head. Using these you'd be able to adjust the compression as needed. If you don't mind a thin white line, 3M makes a marine adhesive called 5200, which I know from experience using it on boats, this stuff will bind anything and everything together. We used this stuff under water even. It works for bonds with metal to epoxy/fiberglass, it's pretty permanent unless you use heat. Available at marine supply stores and relatively expensive, but it works.

Rudy

Back