Uri Hofi's forging style, is it worth learning.

busted knuckles

Hi guys, I've been doing my research on hammers and came across Uri Hofi. He claims to have an ergonomic forging method. Is anyone here familiar with this method, is it worth buying his DVD to learn.
While I've been doing some forging, mostly mokume, I'm still new to forging steel. I've been a carpenter for many years and I understand that a proper hammer technique is important to master. I also understand that most people develop what works for them.
Would you recommend developing my own style or modeling my style after someone like Uri.
Thanks.

I recently watched a full-time professional blacksmith forging a blade using what he described as the "Hoffi" method. It looked awkward to me, but did look like it would be easier on the elbow and shoulder. It was totally different than the way I swing a hammer, whether I'm forging or driving a nail (I'm certainly no expert, though). He kept his hammer hand directly under his shoulder, so that he looked to be pulling up his hammer and pushing it back down, rather than swinging it. I'm not sure if that's the way Uri Hoffi teaches, only that this smith claimed he learned it from Uri Hoffi. I do know that he forges more everyday with a handheld hammer than I do in a year, so it must work pretty well for him. He could sure move the steel where he wanted it in the short time I watched him.

I teach the European style of hammer and anvil use. If you understand it you will see that it really is an improvment. Uri has actually taken Alfred Habberman's style and expanded it into his own style. Uri was here in the States a number of times teaching this style. Tom Clark brought him over and then started making his style hammer and teaching the method. Tsur Sadan and Amet Harlev have been over a number of times also. Big Blu (www.bigbluhammer.com) sells this style hammer (as do a number of others) and have tapes.

These excelent smiths have perfected and learned this style of hammering. I suggest that you learn it and not try to re-invent the wheel. You will learn to move more metal quicker, and have better hammer control as well as avoid injuries.

Last edited:
I highly recommend Hofi's forging method. About 5yrs ago, I broke my shoulder in a fall. Even my orthopedic surgeon, who is a long time knife customer, told me my forging days were over. Hofi read my post about the shoulder in a knife forum and suggested I try his method before I gave up.
After the physical therapy was over, I got a Hofi 3# hammer and started trying his style of hammering. It took about 3mos to get the hang of it, but it was worth the effort. I was so excited about my success, I had some friends over for a hammer-in. One " friend" suggested that I should have broken my shoulder sooner because my forging was much better than before.:3:

Good for you cooter, you cant let anything you keep you from doing what you love. I broke my collar bone a few years back in a motorcycle accident and it still gives me trouble, especially during these cold, damp Oregon winters.
I picked up a hofi style hammer from the boss dogs store, he has the best price on this style of hammer. It's made by Big Blue hammer co. the guys who make air hammers. I'll pick up one of Uri's dvds soon. this hammer feels good in the hand.
I'm looking forward to using it. my forge is almost done, you can sort of see it in the background. I'm still waiting on my inswool, I ordered it from Ellis custom knives and he didn't ship it for a couple weeks, but it's on it's way now.
I'm also building a small 20 ton forging press, I'll post some pics when every things finished. I may do a tutorial on this forging press if it works well.
PB110237.jpgPB110236.jpgPB110238.jpg

I am going to pick up hofi dvd,asap.......I did forged my own hofi hammer and i love it..I started like most of us with reg cross pen types then went to peddinghouse which to most bladesmiths a new thing..how ever after my friend doug merkel was making up a mess of hofi style hammers for troy,oh ,i helped him out and made my own...its a jewel...

Back