Unemployment

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I was just thinking about this and was wondering if anyone has any experience.

I know most states are different but...........

If I am a part time knife maker and I run my business as a sole proprietorship,
When I get laid off from my regular full time job can I still collect unemployment?

Or is unemployment canceled out because I am self employed?

Any comments are appreciated!

I am not 100% sure but I went through the same thing a year ago. I believe that if you get laid off from your full time job you can collect unemployment but you must report any extra money made from your business and then the unemployment will adjust your compensation each week to offset what extra you made. At least that is how it was for me.

I think each state works differently. You might want to call your local unemployment office and I'm sure they can give you the info you need.

I think Burton is right, it would be like being laid from your "real" job but still having a part-time one. So you would need to claim the income you're still getting. I've collected UEI a couple times and they always ask if you had any work/income each week so they can adjust your benefit.

Just a word to anyone in need of a solid, well paying job:

Yes, the economy is bad but there is a huge opportunity for people to earn some serious dough and take care of their families.

Go get your two-year Associates degree in as a Registered Nurse. Emergency Rooms, Trauma/Surgical Intensive Care Units and all areas are hiring Nation wide.

"I can't afford to go back to school" - there are a gazillion dollars in scholarships available for nursing school. Even hospitals are offering monies for a two year work commitment.
Travel nursing offers 45.00+/hr. plus living stipends, plus matching retirement plans. I know a guy that's working a "travel" assignment 10 miles from his house.

"I'm a High School drop out" - So go get your GED. I'd venture to say you're not the same 15-year-old kid you were when you dropped out.

Walk through a hospital in Little Rock, Arkansas and listen to the British accents of the nursing staff...or see how many nurses from the Philippines staff our hospitals on the west coast.

Our country is hurting for nurses and it's only getting worse as the Baby Boomers continue to age.

Fact: I made 100K+ the first year out of nursing school. That was ten years ago. The money is there, just go and get it.

You're not too old or too macho, trust me. One of the baddest dudes I know is an RN that served in the United States Marine Corps.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Ernie :)

*This public service announcement brought to you by your resident RN/Paramedic*

Carry on.

BC

Last edited:
as far as I know you just have to report your income and tour checks will be adjusted accordingly.
Bill makes a point about being RN they have very good pay, and if you work at a state hospital its is a very stable career and you can get a psych tech license while your in school to be an RN. most of my family works as a PT or RN and both are great jobs to have but an RN has better pay.

Back