Tw-90

I have not used one, but I've heard nothing but good reviews on it's performance.

The only negatives I've heard about are the 1.25" aluminum tool arms and the incredibly high price for the machine.
Now, typically the price is justified by the excuse that "you're practically getting two machines in one" but I look at it more from a parts/labor perspective. Now I could be wrong, but the TW-90 looks like a fairly simplistic (albeit very innovative and well thought out) design, and I see very little to indicate that it would take more parts/materials or labor to build than any other grinder on the market.

Now this is another personal observation, but the flat platen seems a bit "over engineered" as well, and less versatile/adjustable than a KMG. In that regard, KMG seems like a better design.

All that being said, it's still on my list of "wants" and something like likely save up for. Too bad it will take me about 10 years... hahah

I haven't pulled the trigger on one because of the price. I do like the horizontal/vertical feature. I'm kind of concerned with the aluminum tool arms though.

The only negatives I've heard about are the 1.25" aluminum tool arms and the incredibly high price for the machine.

I've worked on this grinder, and have to agree with the above statement. While there is no doubt it's "top quality" throughout, using a 1 1/4" aluminum tooling arm is a major design flaw in my opinion. I also agree that the platen is somewhat "over engineered". To achieve the same flexibility as my current platen, I would have to basically trash the platen it comes with, and replace it with one of mine.

I once watched as one owner accidentally dropped a tooling arm with an attachment in place, and it slightly bent the tooling arm...causing major tracking issues. I also noticed that the aluminum tooling arm gets "chewed up" rather quickly where the "hold down" clamps it in place.
I personally wasn't happy with the height difference between the vertical and horizontal positions....I suppose to some that wouldn't make any difference, but for me it did.

If the machine came with a steel tooling arm(s) (preferably 1 1/2") and the vertical and horizontal heights were the same, I might seriously consider the machine for my shop. But as it is, giving up the horizontal feature, I think a KMG is a better value.

I'm not at all dogging the grinder.....there are just some things about it that are "deal breakers" for me. All of the folks I know who own them are very fond of them....but there are just too many short comings for me, to spend that much money on a machine that I would have to do a lot of modification on, to make it fit my needs.

I've already talked myself out of buying one Ed, the aluminum tool arms are a turnoff for me and I agree, they should be 1 1/2" steel.

You know, I think I'm about to talk myself out of buying one too, and just saving up for 2 KMGs.

To be determined.... haha

Back