Trying my hand at knifemaking, again.

DavidM

Sorry if this gets long..
My name is David Marcotte. I'm almost 49 (next month) My love of blades started when I was around ten. I would steal our kitchen knives and shove them in my pants pockets, I didn't care if they stabbed through the pockets. I was hoping it would protect me from my stepdad.. That's another story, anyway I've carried knives ever since. I met someone in the nineties that was a welder and I mentioned I would like to try and make my own knife. He gave me a piece of steel and I made a spear head from it. It is just low carbon but I knew I had to make more. He was shocked I made anything as the last few guys I guess never did anything with it. Anyway I made a short sword and a dagger and a battle axe with more of the same steel he gave me. I did it all with hacksaws and hand files. About eight months ago I met a guy here in McCall when I moved back that has taught me a lot. I am now making 'real' knives and enjoy the hell out of it.
Mr. Haas, if you read this I want to thank you for helping Seth challenge himself to do better. He says I'm a natural and I do feel it is something I've done my entire life. Thank you for all you have done for so many!

David,
Welcome to the pack here at KDs. We have many makers at all different levels with different interest too.
Ask any questions you have and I sure someone can help you.

I am glad you survived your step dad. I won't call him your father. Any man that makes a child fear them like that deserves getting it!

Welcome. I know McCall very well. There's an outfit up the called Barr Specialty Tools that produces very fine hand forged woodworking tools. Good luck in your knife making pursuits.

Back