Titanium against 180 plus steel, galvanic corrosion???

JAGKNIFE

HEY ALL,

i HAVE BEEN ASKED TO MAKE A KNIFE FOR A CUSTOMER IN WHICH HE WANTED TI SCALES. I USUALLY USE 1080 PLUS STEEL. WOULD I HAVE A POSSIBLE GALVANIC CORROSION PROBLEM HERE? I HAVE SEEN THREADS ON WHICH METALS DO WHAT TO EACH OTHER BUT THOUGHT I WOULD ASK. I WAS GOING TO USE TI PINS OR MAYBE CF PINS
THANKS
JAG KNIFE

I work in the electric industry and we have to be careful not to let aluminum and copper touch each other, otherwise they will corrode very quickly. I can't say for sure if Ti would react with steel, but any reaction between dissimilar metals requires a direct electrical connection between them. I really doubt that the two would be a problem, but if you're not willing to risk it, my first thought would be to use some G10 liners and carbon fiber pins, then there would be absolutely no path for the galvanic corrosion.

I've used anodized titanium as liners on 440-C with no problems but that's stainless, I don't see how any galvanic problems would arise as neither material would be acting as a cathode or anode and no current is flowing between them. but there could be a problem if moisture is trapped between the two.

You shouldn't have any issues. I've been using Ti for scales on some of my EBKs (1080 steel blades) for several years, and never had any issues.

Back