Tip for Electro-Chem-Etch users.

Fred Rowe

If you are using the Electro-Chem-Etch marking system here is one way to hold the pad onto the handset. The O-ring measures 1 5/16" I.D. They do not deteriorate like rubber bands; they last for years.

DSC01156.JPG

DSC01157.JPG

To keep your stencils clean this little ultrasonic cleaner works really well. I mark 40 pieces at a time and rotate 3 or 4 stencils. I use the stencil once and put it in the cleaner and push the start button while getting a fresh stencil ready.

DSC01158.JPG

The ultrasonic cleaners cost around 25 dollars at Harbor Freight the O-rings are a quarter at your local hardware.

Fred

I have a question about stencils and I was hoping you might help. How fine of detail are they able to do? I have been using a printed circuit board material that does very fine detail but you have to use heat to stick it to the knife. I have a damascus knife that is completely finished, except I haven't put my name on it (I know, I should have) and I want to put it on the butt cap which is not damascus. I can't get the PCB material hot enough to sick on the butt cap unless I really heat up the wood handle which scares me. So that is why I am thinking of a stencil instead. I have never seen the material. Is it like a fine silk screen material? My logo is only 12 pt type. Thanks for any help Todd Miller

Hi Todd,

The stencils from IMG are first rate and are capable of reproducing very fine detail. Talk to Patricia Bruno @ http://www.img-electromark.com/contact/ she is great to work with and understands the marking business very well. I manufacture a product and mark 50 units at a time and use a lot of their stencils and believe its top grade.

Fred

I have a question about stencils and I was hoping you might help. How fine of detail are they able to do? I have been using a printed circuit board material that does very fine detail but you have to use heat to stick it to the knife. I have a damascus knife that is completely finished, except I haven't put my name on it (I know, I should have) and I want to put it on the butt cap which is not damascus. I can't get the PCB material hot enough to sick on the butt cap unless I really heat up the wood handle which scares me. So that is why I am thinking of a stencil instead. I have never seen the material. Is it like a fine silk screen material? My logo is only 12 pt type. Thanks for any help Todd Miller

Don't know why I never though of an O-Ring.
I actually bought some special sized rubber bands for mine online.
I have a TON of O-Rings...

Ultrasonic is the way to go for cleaning stencils.
They are so inexpensive at Harbor Freight nowadays too.

The next bigger one is even better, it has heat, and a bigger capacity.

Every single part of one of my knives gets cleaned in the ultrasonic.

For in between uses, when marking a batch of knives, I just have a little tub of water.
I mark, then drop it in the tub, then do the next mark, and drop that one in the tub.

My last batch of knives required 3 marks.
18 blades, and all I did for cleaning in between marks was drop it in the tub.

After the batch, they went into the cleaner though.

I get really crisp, really dark marks too

Mark.jpg

Don't know why I never though of an O-Ring.
I actually bought some special sized rubber bands for mine online.
I have a TON of O-Rings...

Ultrasonic is the way to go for cleaning stencils.
They are so inexpensive at Harbor Freight nowadays too.

The next bigger one is even better, it has heat, and a bigger capacity.

Every single part of one of my knives gets cleaned in the ultrasonic.

For in between uses, when marking a batch of knives, I just have a little tub of water.
I mark, then drop it in the tub, then do the next mark, and drop that one in the tub.

My last batch of knives required 3 marks.
18 blades, and all I did for cleaning in between marks was drop it in the tub.

After the batch, they went into the cleaner though.

I get really crisp, really dark marks too

View attachment 26343

I was working on another project that required the O-rings; there was one left and it was on the bench where I do my marking and there were no rubber bands handy. Now its 0-rings.
I get a lot more marks out of each stencil now that I use the ultrasonic.

Good looking mark on your blades.

What is used in the ultrasonic cleaner, is it just water or is there a mild soap that you're using mixed with water? I've been thinking about buying an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning my 22lr silencers but if it also works for cleaning stencils then it can pull double duty.

What is used in the ultrasonic cleaner, is it just water or is there a mild soap that you're using mixed with water? I've been thinking about buying an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning my 22lr silencers but if it also works for cleaning stencils then it can pull double duty.

Just plain water is what I use and it works fine for the stencils. I use it for small jewelery parts also and it cleans those up real well.

Fred

Just curious Todd why not put your mark on the damascus? Ive etched damascus then etched the blade and it turns out great. One thing you can do if you want a diffrent look is to paint your logo area with fingernail polish after it is etched, then etch the blade. The fingernail polish will act like a residt for the PCB etchant. One done, clean the fingernail polish with acetone or nail polish remover.

God Bless
Mike

Back