Thoughts on Gift Giving

MTBob

As a hobbyist knife maker, I mostly make knives for family and friends. Most are given away, with infrequent paid commissions. Knives are a wonderful gift for any kitchen or sportsman.
However in recent years I've found the most rewarding gift of all is inviting people to come to my shop to make their own knife. Over the years I've helped kids as young as 14, and adults, go through the whole process from designing to finishing.
In every instance the person gets a huge reward from creating their knife.
I see this as giving a gift that is isn't easily purchased by sharing my time and limited talent with others, particularly young people.
For sure inviting people with various skill levels is a challenge and risk. But, I stress safety, and will perform more difficult tasks myself.

However in recent years I've found the most rewarding gift of all is inviting people to come to my shop to make their own knife
I think that's a great way to introduce folks to knifemaking. I've invited several folks over, but only had 1 or 2 to actually make a knife.

Like you most of my knives are given away to friends 'n family. I usually only sell 3 to 6 knives per year - just enough to sorta cover the cost of metal and belts.

It is indeed rewarding to teach someone how to make a proper knife. I’m having a fellow over in late January to make a knife.

One of the challenges is to have youngsters or adults in the shop who have never run a drill press, bandsaw or grinder. Oh boy, that can sure be a way to raise one's blood pressure!

I agree with all of the above. Anyone ever try troubled youth in your shops. I stopped doing that. But that was all who I had around for awhile.

Just wondering if others have figured out ways around those issues and still having them around - despite the risks.

My church has an annual youth auction. I’ve donated knives in the past. I think I might offer up a knife making session this year. The auction money goes towards the youth mission.

Troubled youth is a hard description anymore to be honest. When I grew up attention span could be adjusted. But yes I have "dealt" with kids who's parents said he had attention span defict. Come to find out he didn't when I explained reality to him what could happen to him if he didn't do exactly what I told him to do in my knife shop.

Last edited:
I have taught many in my shop. Mostly knife making, maybe a couple of blacksmiths here and there. I have taught as young as 12 and as old as 65. Those who do not aggravate me (easier and easier to do nowadays) get invited back when I play in the shop. Those that aggravate me get a smile as they leave my shop for the last time.

Troubled youth is a hard description anymore to be honest.
You're right. That's a broad stroke. I wanted to model work ethic for these young guys getting stoned all the time and around bad influences. I guess people I thought I could help, not the insolent, defiant ones.

I'm pretty selective, but I had a guy for awhile I new personally, that didn't stop him from lying to me. I quit letting him come around too much and he got the idea. But I wonder if it was just immaturity and I gave up too early on him. He never stabbed me in the back. He did end up taking the next good paying job that came to town and worked hard at it.

For now, though, I've settled that a knife shop isn't the best place to bring them in. Better to use a different means.

In any case, it does take the right person, and the right relationship.

You're right. That's a broad stroke. I wanted to model work ethic for these young guys getting stoned all the time and around bad influences. I guess people I thought I could help, not the insolent, defiant ones.

I'm pretty selective, but I had a guy for awhile I new personally, that didn't stop him from lying to me. I quit letting him come around too much and he got the idea. But I wonder if it was just immaturity and I gave up too early on him. He never stabbed me in the back. He did end up taking the next good paying job that came to town and worked hard at it.

For now, though, I've settled that a knife shop isn't the best place to bring them in. Better to use a different means.

In any case, it does take the right person, and the right relationship.
You are right that the knife shop may not be the right place for them. It's hard to give up, but sometimes it's necessary. We have seen this a couple of times in our Scout troop. Most of them do mature eventually and become responsible and productive humans. We pride ourselves on being very tolerant and a safe place to be. But one or two times in the 20 years I've been involved we have had a young man that just is so disruptive and detrimental to group cohesiveness, and even safety, that we've had to ask them to leave the troop. It's heartbreaking.
So, my unsolicited advice is to keep on hosting young people in your shop if you can. Be selective, but don't shy away from a challenge. But be safe and know that you are doing good!
Happy New Year!

When you have people working in your shop, do you ask them to sign a Limitation of Liability document? I've considered it, but have never done it.

Troubled youth is a hard description anymore to be honest. When I grew up attention span could be adjusted. But yes I have "dealt" with kids who's parents said he had attention span defict. Come to find out he didn't when I explained reality to him what could happen to him if he didn't do exactly what I told him to do in my knife shop.
Yea.....When I was a young tough guy (I thought) a cop gave me an attitude adjustment. Made me realize I wasn't as tough as I thought and if I took his advice I would stay out of trouble. I took it and stayed out of trouble. I think alot of kids nowdays just aren't exposed to the repercussions their attitude might have on their life. I have straightened out a nephew that had "attention span defict" (according to his parents) just by telling him about an old fashioned "attitude adjustment" I was willing to provide at the time if his attitude persisted. He acts differently around me than he does around others to this day. LOL.

I occasionally get some training from a guy I consider a good friend. He still makes me sign a waver. Im more than happy to do it. His shop his rules

Back