The First Two WIP

Update...

Thanks franklin!

Update on the knives...

I have decided that I have gotten a little too ahead of myself and back-pedaled a bit. It was good to get started on them and figure out what skills I needed to focus on more. It is, ofcourse, grinding the bevel. I feel that I need to make a few more knives using the files to get a good feel of how the bevels are ground, before practicing on the belt grinder. So, now I am trying to fix the bevel I had put on the second knife. I feel I have way more control with the files and once I get a feel for the "geometry" of grinding the edge , then the grinder will get some real use (does that make sense?).

I should have them finished up this weekend and ready for heat treat. It has been unbearable (heat) on my back porch and have only had an hour or so a night to work on them, but I have been dreaming about knives and steadily researching the knife making process. I ordered a file guide and used it for the first time yesterday and it makes a huge difference, over wood, for help in filing the plunge lines. Also ordered a magnet and a few other things to help me out. USA KnifeMaker Supply has got to be one of the best internet businesses I have ever delt with. Top notch company.

Thanks for all of the input guys and I will update with pictures this weekend, when I can get them worthy of a picture. They are pretty brutalized at the moment.

Back