The Fhammerly Portrait

Hey Folks... yes... another hammer thread... I just love em!!!

I'm really happy with the group of hammers currently have in my user line up. My handles have evolved to a short(8-9") length with an oval/octagonal cross-section. It is very similar to the Hofi-style. I rub a bit of beeswax on them to add grip so my hand doesn't have to work as hard to maintain control.

IMG_0128-3.jpg

From Left to Right...
The first two are my French Hammers. 3.3lb and 2.2lb. I have been using these the longest. They are my all purpose hammers. If I could only have two, these are the ones.
The second two are my drawing hammers. 3.5lbs each. These guys draw out length FAST. They are modified 4lb mauls. Square faces with generous rads on the edges and RH/LH diagonal peens.
The third pair are my Japanese-type rounding hammers. The big one was made from a 6lb sledge and weighs in at 4.25lb. The smaller was made by Kenon Rain and slightly modified by me (sorry, Kenan, your work is great, bro) to reestablish the weight at 2.25Lbs. These two spead out steel like crazy but don't have the directional control that the square faced ones do.
The last three consist of a homemade Beveling hammer, a Ball-peen and a Rough Faced Masonary hammer to add texture where needed.
IMG_0129-3.jpg

They all serve a purpose and get used regularily. There is one hammer not pictured. It is a regular 3lb maul and does all my dirty work like driving punches and chisels.

Here is a little more info on how I dress the faces...

IMG_0061-2.jpg

Ha!.... I couldn't resist!!!

The French Hammers - I square the faces, the gently "roll" them side to side and top to bottom on a slack belt. Small radius on the edges to eliminate gouges from bad hammer throws.
IMG_0130-2.jpg

The Drawing Hammers - Squared faces, rolled side to side(only) even more than the French hammers. The edge radius is larger so even while hitting with the flat face, I can angle/tilt it to get a fuller effect. LH/RH Diagonal peens for heavy, ergonomic fullering/drawing.
IMG_0131-1.jpg

IMG_0132-4.jpg

The Rounding Hammers - Round faces, heavily domed to spread metal in all directions.
IMG_0133-6.jpg

Beveling Hammer - Ground to a "peen" that is flatter in shape. Used to gently draw down edge bevels on knives that are fully forged.
IMG_0134-5.jpg

Texturing Hammer - A masonary hammer that has been roughed up to impart texture for touching up the "forge finish" look.
IMG_0135-5.jpg

The Ballpeen Hammer is pretty self explanitory...

Please take the time to post your own hammers and how you use them.

Thanks!!!

That looks like a really great collection of hammers!

I am fairly new and have minimal forging equipment but have always thought I could improve the hammer I use. What grits and belts do you use to get the face where you want it. I just have a hammer I got at the local big box harware store so I guess it wouldn't be a big loss if I messed it up. I think it is a 2.5 or 3 LB. cross pein. The face seem too rounded to me.

Thanks and I really enjoy your posts.

Rick that one in the camo is hilarious. :35:

Hey glad to see you over here! I came to stay after I got blessed out over yonder for offering my opinion about the rules violation and sticking to my guns. I figure it this way when you express yourself in mannerly way and ask if maybe the rules need to be rethought and they tell you they don't need you anymore, they were right they didn't need me anymore. Much nicer neighborhood too!

Anyways good to see you I always liked your sense of humor and I like the hammers too!:drool:

Did that sound wrong, glad I said it in plural?:lol:

Dang I have a way of killing a thread, (I post and that's it no one else including Rick has anything to say)!:what!:

Last edited:
Nice lot of hammers there Rick. Your shop is so much more organized than mine, my hammers are usually somewhere on the floor.

Zeb

I'm with Zeb on this one, My hammers get altitude sickness. And besides once they're on the floor they can't fall much further. You have a great looking lineup there Rick.

I love tools, maybe more than knives (nawww) but those hammers hanging there look pretty cool. Great picture. I pile mine into an old plastic milk crate but now I am going to rethink that and find a place to hang them.

Great work , I been getting lucky at my local fleamarket and getting some good old hammer. I made a round hammer rack fromt he the plans from anvil fire.

Back