Temporary Cure for Small Wheel Ripples

curtisk

Temporary Cure for Small Wheel Ripples
I am certain that I am not the first to figure this out, but I thought I would pass it along anyway. Anyone that uses a small attachment knows about the grinding ripples that come with using it. To limit or get rid of them:
Place one layer of 1/8” self adhesive cork around the wheel being mindful that you make a near perfect splice with the ends of the cork. Next you wrap the cork with two or three layers of duct tape keeping out wrinkles while wrapping. This gives just enough cushion to the small wheel to limit or even stop the grinding ripples caused by the belt splice.
Good luck!
Curtis

I wonder if a softer Duro hardness wheel might also work?

I certainly would like to go ahead with a 1/2" wheel without the ripples. In the end I often go to a dremel with a sanding drum. I certainly will try the cork trick. Frank

I wrapped one of my small wheels with cork and then put a piece of heat shrink on it. It's worked pretty good so far.

Hi Tracy, Have you used the softer duro small wheels or do you offer them for sale? I would be willing to try them for finish work!
Sincerely,
Clint

Mine are 70 duro but I will see about getting some softer small wheels on my next small wheel order...

By the time I get my next shop built and going , you should have some if they are available. Thanks Tracy. Frank

Back