Tapmatic questions.

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
HELP!!

I would like to get a Tapmatic for my drill press to do small work like folder size stuff. Not sure what model Tapmatic would suit my needs best.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Randy

Randy,
The one I have goes from 0 size screw up to 1/4" I'll try to get the modle # off of it today and let you know.
I love that thing,I can tap 6,0-80 holes in titanium quicker than I can install a tap in my hand tapper. I have a drill press dedicated for tapping with the Tapmatic.

Ditto on what Calvin said! The only thin gI can add is that if you not 100% set on a tapmatic brand, you might wanna check enco. They sella brand called Taco....I caught it on sale and saved a good chunk of money. It's been in the shop for several years now, and it's been great.

I can remember the tapping by hand days.....sometimes I'd break 2-3 taps on one folder..... now I wear taps out before I break them, and I buy taps FAR less often!

I'm looking at a couple right now and hope to have one purchased within a couple of weeks. I see an RX-30 with a short 1/2" shank at the top. Can this be installed into the drill press chuck or is another shank needed? Thanks for your help . Frank

Yes, that's the truth, Randy !!! I sure wanted to know that !!!!!!!!!! I believe I want to go that way for ease of changing . I do realize if there is run out it will be more this way. I do believe my drill press is still not giving much if any. Frank

I have bought new an inexpensive brand that has been very popular for the last few years. I won't have it for about two weeks, just mailing time, but I will be using it a lot when it gets here. Most of the folders I make need 12 holes tapped or more. I will pass along my findings when I can give a reasonable evaluation. Frank

Yup Randy, tapmatic or generic brand will do the job and the money you save in broken taps will more than pay for it and just think, tapping 2-56 threads in .085 Titanium at 1500 rpm. Ya gotta love it. Oh!and the tapped hole is dead square when your done.

I have bought new an inexpensive brand that has been very popular for the last few years. I won't have it for about two weeks, just mailing time, but I will be using it a lot when it gets here. Most of the folders I make need 12 holes tapped or more. I will pass along my findings when I can give a reasonable evaluation. Frank

Frank,
You may break a few taps getting it dialed in but after that you'll love it.

What is the difference between a 30X and a R3 tapmatic? They both are reversible, they both are from 0 to 1/4" thel look like the same tool

What brand did you end up going with?

Hey Calvin,
I know I've hand tapped 10-12,000 holes in 0 x 80 size and in the last five or six years I can remember wearing taps down so the taped holes would be too small for the screws and had to be thrown out but I bet I didn't break three or four in all that time. I 've had two holders that had a shaft that went into a drill press but you turned free hand I don't think I will throw the one I have out. The other I gave to a fellow knife maker who has started on the folders. I'm hoping the supplied info will save me breaking them now. I'm a slow learned so start praying, please.
PT Doc. Just wait a bit and I'll let you know if it's good or not. If you have had some bad experience with some brand, tell us now and I will cancel or return the one coming if it's the one I bought. Tapamatic is a good brand. Have you heard of Procunior ? Frank

Last edited:
Something you might want to consider. I recently put a 1 hp motor on my drill press. I have my disk grinder close so I have it so that I can plug the VFD into either the disk grinder or the drill press. Now I have full speed control on the drill press and forward/reverse. I use it to tap and reverse the tap back out. Not a slick as a Tapmatic but if you already have the VFD or are contemplating getting one it is a good alternative and cheaper. You do have to watch the tap go down and when it has cut all the way through hit the reverse switch.

Back