swirl marks on blades

Rey

Browsing on ebay I came upon knives made by Ken Richardson sold by distributors and so forth. Curios to know as to how the swirls are made on his knives, I tried to make the same circles using a dremel with a small diamond wheel did not work. Anyone know the how this is done or have tried? I do understand it's the makers secret but, just curios.:les:

Back in high school (70's), we did this by chucking a #2 pencil with the eraser facing down in a drill press at slow speed. Apply a light coat of automotive rubbing compound to the eraser and piece (blade) you want to jewel. Drop the eraser down on the piece lightly and overlap the circles made by the eraser. A metal rod with a dot of leather epoxied to the end with black compound would probably work. Yes, there are better ways of doing it but you get the idea. Cratex(?) may have abrasive rods that would work better. It helps to have a mirror polish on your project.

Rudy

Hi Rey,
I bought a jeweling tool from Jantz supply years ago that holds a Cratex rod. With a drill press and a little practice It's fairly easy. I think Brownell's , the gunsmiths supply place has all you need for this job. No secrets here !!
Clint

Many thanks my fellow knifemakers for the info. it sure helps when gentlemen like you all have the knowledge to help. That's what this forum is all about, thanks again.

You can buy "cratex" rods about 6" long in fine, medium and course. They are asbout 5" long. Rub them all over with CA - crazy glue- and cut them into lengths to use directly in your drill press. I use them regularly for the inside of liners on liner locks. Frank

I ended up using a lead pencil with the end flattened in my drill press, the eraser was too squishy. Dan

Back