Stop The Helicopter - Some Ways To Save a Finger

MTBob

If you're like me, too many times I've gotten lazy using my drill press and find my work piece Helicoptering. For those who haven't experienced the Helicopter, it can occur when drilling a long thin work piece (say ... a knife blank). If too much pressure is applied as the drill leaves the bottom of the hole, the bit digs in and wham-o, you've got an unbalanced rotating finger slicer ripping into your bones. This problem arises usually when the drill RPM is too high, feed rate (downward pressure) is too high, or drill bit is dull. Here are several ways to stop the Helicoptering.
Use a clamp as a blocking device. Position the clamp within the spin radius of the work piece so it will keep it from spinning if the drill binds up. I usually don't use this kind of clamp to hold work pieces onto the table, it's just serves as a block to stop Helicoptering. The clamp can be limited in use since it often can't be positioned where you want it due to webs under the table. The clamp shown here is a quick release Hanson adjustable clamp. C clamps will work, but much to fiddly for me.

1604531235220.png
Here's a little fixture I made the other day that takes the place of a clamp and works really well. Simple to make and does the job. I cut off a chunk of aluminum stock and drilled / threaded a hole for a bolt located in a table slot. This fixture also could easily be made with a bolt and stack of washers, nothing fancy, just something that keeps the work piece from spinning.
1604531786462.png

1604531895711.png
1604532931969.png
One disadvantage of this simple block (or above clamp) is that they won't do much to keep the work piece from cork screwing up the drill bit flute, a nasty variation of the classic "Helicopter". If that happens the work piece can ride up over the block and still helicopter, that's when it gets real exciting. The best method, of course, is to clamp the piece to the table solidly for each hole being drilled. I'm often too lazy to do that, so I've learned to be mindful of how much pressure I apply when the drill begins to exit the work piece and push down on the work piece with my hand. I am also careful to adjust my drill press RPM to match the size of drill - small drill higher RPM / larger drill slower RPM. It's also worth mentioning that I always place my hands in a position to move them quickly out of the potential spin radius. A dab of cutting oil also reduces binding.
I also use a seriously solid offset clamp for those times when the drill sizes get too big (say >3/8"). Using an offset clamp is a fast way of readjusting work pieces on the drill press table and achieving solid hold down pressure. I modified the clamp shown here so it bolts to the table and has a heavy flexible hold down foot. It works well for larger pieces, but it's somewhat bulky and not too convenient.
1604532841715.png
I NEVER drill any long flat work piece without one of these methods in place. "Chunks" of stuff can be held in a vice.

"Stops" like those are an absolute necessity on a drill press!

I also agree with Wayne..... most of the machines in my shop are operated via momentary foot switches. If something goes wrong, I simply step back. But just the foot switches along are not enough for drill presses!

Great advice. The buffer is usually considered the most dangerous tool in the shop but the drill press hurts more people. I never hand hold any hole bigger than 1/4" and usually I use a vise at 3/16" and up.

replaced the single phase motor with a 3 phase and a VFD
I agree, a VFD is a great addition to a drill press. The drill press in my photos is an old bench type Walker Turner with a KBAC 24D VFD. Reducing the RPM substantially reduces the risk of spinning the work piece. The FWD/REV switch makes it a pleasure to power tap small threads.
most of the machines in my shop are operated via momentary foot switches.
I may add a foot switch to the drill press, that's a good idea, I have one on a heavily modified wood lathe that I use for buffing and spinning large "things".
But, I'd suggest a foot switch can add another danger of inadvertently hitting the pedal. I only use those that have a built in foot shield, similar to this:
1604592551608.png
take the time and clamp the blade in an adjustable press vise
You are absolutely right. I will readily admit that I frequently cut corners and get much too casual with rotating equipment and have spilled a bit of blood as a result, though fortunately nothing too serious.

Those are great solutions but for me I’d rather take the time and clamp the blade in an adjustable press vise.
This is the best, for sure.

One thing I'll add is to set the piece against the stop before starting to drill so that it has no room to helicopter at all.. I've often used the post of the drill press for this very thing. With my belt driven HF press, when the bit grabs, the belt will slip allowing the motor to spin but the chuck won't. Perhaps this should be a selling point for lower powered, belt driven models...

I typically use a Hanson "Lockjaw" self adjusting clamp on the drill press. These things are worth their weight in gold for sheet metal work. No adjusting anything for different thicknesses, just clamp and go.

Hanson "Lockjaw" self adjusting clamp
I agree these are terrific clamps. Kinda expensive, but worth it. Some folks have issues with the adjustment or getting their hand pinched in the handle. I've had one break in the adjusting mechanism, but I still like them.

1604596646010.png

I used to work a urgent care centers. You wouldn't believe how many patients with power tool injuries started out by explaining that they were in too much of a hurry to readjust a tool or to get a clamp or push stick. Those clamps mentioned above might be a little on the pricy side but compare them to a trip to the Emergency Room.

Doug

I use this type of clamp in conjunction with the helicopter stopper clamp at about 10 o'clock. One of the best things I like about the clamp to the table is the ability to hold the work piece down on a punched hole with the drill press, and clamp very close to the hole with the other hand. The set up is fast and accurate. The big advantage to a clamp next to the hole is it positively stops the work piece from walking up or flexing enough to ride up the bit. That in itself solves the bigger part of the helicoptering problem. 5F2B7188-E85B-4B05-B107-F202D09B3D07.jpeg

"Those clamps mentioned above might be a little on the pricy side but compare them to a trip to the Emergency Room.
Doug"

^^^this....goes through my mind every time I think about the cost of a piece of safety gear...

"Those clamps mentioned above might be a little on the pricy side but compare them to a trip to the Emergency Room.
Doug"

^^^this....goes through my mind every time I think about the cost of a piece of safety gear...
BIG AMEN TO THAT!! I'm as guilty as the next man.....grumble about how much something costs, but often don't take into consideration the cost of the alternative!

I use this type of clamp in conjunction with the helicopter stopper clamp at about 10 o'clock. One of the best things I like about the clamp to the table is the ability to hold the work piece down on a punched hole with the drill press, and clamp very close to the hole with the other hand. The set up is fast and accurate. The big advantage to a clamp next to the hole is it positively stops the work piece from walking up or flexing enough to ride up the bit. That in itself solves the bigger part of the helicoptering problem. View attachment 75642
Now you've got me re-thinking use of a hold down clamp. Like I said earlier, I've got one, but it's too big for my Walker Turner DP table. It is perfect for my larger Delta/Rockwell drill press. So, this morning I bought a smaller clamp that has a 6" throat. It will stop most knife blades from spinning within the clamping radius of the hold down arm and stop cork screwing.
And, thanks to Ed's suggestion, I think I'll add a foot switch.
Like Doug and Owl said, this is cheap insurance!

1604677565376.png

Attachments

• 1604674932039.png
    1604674932039.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 0
Now you've got me re-thinking use of a hold down clamp. Like I said earlier, I've got one, but it's too big for my Walker Turner DP table. It is perfect for my larger Delta/Rockwell drill press. So, this morning I bought a smaller clamp that has a 6" throat. It will stop most knife blades from spinning within the clamping radius of the hold down arm and stop cork screwing.
And, thanks to Ed's suggestion, I think I'll add a foot switch.
Like Doug and Owl said, this is cheap insurance!

View attachment 75645
That's actually the exact clamp I have. I posted the Yost because it was the first similar image in google. :)

My drill press table has T-slots. I use an upturned carriage bolt with a nut so that I can position it anywhere along the track that works best. Of course I only figured this out after nearly lacerating myself to death one time as the 1 HP driven helicoptering kamikaze blade of death sought to do me in.

Back