Starting work on a "Camp knife"

soule

I really liked this design for a camp knife, so I am making it with .25" thick CPM 154. I am thinking flat or even saber grind going 3/4 of the way up to the spine. perhaps a false edge on the drop point.

I also want to try and taper the tang. I am looking for feedback before I commit to the grind and taper. Should I also try and taper the blade, or would that weaken the point too much?
IMG_0351 (1).jpg

I have some .25" green and black canvas micarta that I was thinking about using for the scales with maybe white spacer material?

Any and all feedback is welcome. I would really like this or something like it to be a wedding gift for my eldest daughter later this year.

Here is that camp knife completed with a "satin" finish and a tapered tang. I may need to smooth it out a bit more though.
IMG_0417.jpgIMG_0421.jpg

Tapering the tang is pretty easy, just mark scribe lines around the handle. I find a lot of people like the thickness of the non tapered tang though. I would personally taper. I think it's easier to balance the knife tapering than drilling holes. I would also do a full flat grind or at least 3/4. Ed Jeffery recently discussed the benefits on a recent post.

I really like a flat grind for a larger knife like this. not sure about smaller thinner blades though. Three quarters seems to look better on a smaller knife.

The tapered tang was not too hard, and I really like the way that it looks. Again, probably not so much on a smaller knife.

Back