Starting out raw!!!

Hello, I'm Doug. I've been interested in making my own knife for years. I have decided to try the file knife. I figured since I had many old and broken files to choose from. I had a look at some youtube how to's and thought it would be fairly simple. The first file I tried to anneal was a bit more than I had expected. After getting it hot in the fire, I tried the magnet check. I read a good red color and no attraction was the key. I got the red orange color, but my magnet was still drawn to the old file. After lettting it cool in ambient temps, it seems to be able to be filed fairly easily. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

With old files, it's really hard to say....simply because it's difficult to know what you're dealing with (steel type). Many files in the past 10+ years have been made by "case hardening"....what that means is the steel is a type that is soft, with the "hardness" being only a couple thousandths of an inch on the surface. It might not make sense, but these files will still break.

The problem with this type of file/steel is that you'll work hard at creating a knife from it, TRY to heat treat (harden and temper), and it simply will not harden.

When you "after getting it hot in the fire".....was that a wood fire? If so, it likely never got hot enough. Here's an over simplified "How to anneal"........heat the steel to 1525F+ and place it in a media that will force the steel to cool SLOWLY.....dry ashes, garden lime, and sand are some things folks use. Personally I recommend vermiculite (you can find it at nursery/garden supply stores). Generally it will take the steel 8-12 hours to cool down enough to handle.

That's just a brief input....there's a lot to learn when you build a knife. Again, personally, I highly recommend buying a bar of "knife quality" steel such as 1080, 1084, 5160, etc. That way it will come in a condition that you can work with, and you will know exactly what you have......and will be able to look up how to heat treat it.

Thanks Ed for the input. The files that I selected are older than 30 years. I also built a nice hot fire and let the files lay on the coals. I let them air cool. I am curious to know if it would hurt to reheat the files at this point to do a proper anneal?

I started some 16 plus years ago with making old files into knives by stock removal.

I concur with Ed that it's better to buy a bar of a know steel. For both forging & stock removal.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

1084 or 5160 would be excellent steels to start with. Both can make great knives with a minimum of equipment. Basically you get it a little above magnetic and quench and you will have a servicable blade. But the better you can refine your heat treating method and have a repeatable process the better blades those steels can make.

Back