Start of my KITH

I use the HEB store brand vinegar, but I don't think y'all have HEBs up in Minnesota. :D

I remember hearing (from Tim Lively, I think) that you can put vinegar in a freezer, let the water in it freeze, then pour off the more concentrated vinegar. Never tried it myself, have no idea how frozen you let it get, but it seems like it's worth testing out.

Heck, try a 24 hour soak in the 5% and see what the result is.

Vinegar is about 5% acetic and water with a small amount of other flavoring and coloring chemicals. Could you make your own mixture? Acetic acid is readily available at pool stores. 1 part acid to 9 parts water or whatever mixture works? I don't know.....just thinking..and that could be dangerous....

"Danger is my middle name." -Austin "Danger" Powers. Thanks for the pointers on scale removal. I did use the 5% last night and it gobbled up a lot of the scale on another blade!

messerist that things a monster as wade dubbed i second it, that things awsome cant wait to see it
further along.

I think that I am going to use rawhide on the handles, or rawhide over wood. Anyone have any suggestions? Just remember, you might be the one who gets it.:wink:

that might look cool with a leather wrapped and stitched,not sure i said that right if you need a pic i got one.
or i think what you said ya what you said lol!!!!!!!

I decided to wrap the handle in three layers. First, I glued two strips of leather on the handle. Second, I wrapped some hemp around the strips. Finally, I wrapped the whole mess with some rawhide and applied a coat of shellac. Time to think about a sheath
Kith for KD 006.jpg
Here is a close up of the wrapped handle
Kith for KD 005.jpg

Great Knife !

I was originally thinking about doing a VERY similar handle treatment. Love the way yours came out. Cant wait to see what you've got in store for the sheath.

Take care- Josh

Troy,
That came out looking real nice. Good luck finding a piece of leather big enough for a sheath.:s12137: Wade

Back