start of bowie w/ hamon for kith 2012

Here is today's progress. I have just about all of it roughed out. Not able to do the octagonal handle, did not like it. I am open to any advice, input, pointers, etc. I don't make a lot of bowies. I haven't made on in over a year.

IMG_0660-001.JPG

IMG_0661-001.JPG

IMG_0658-001.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

Last edited:
more progress

Hello everyone,
I did some more shaping on the guard and sanded the handle. I really am in the home stretch. The bevels are also set and crisped but you can't see it in these pics. I am not moving into polishing the blade to show the hamon. It is a nice one, I am pretty sure.
I am trying not to rush this one. I wish I had made the blade collar either smaller or a little larger and shaped paralledl with the plunge cuts. I may make another one.
thanks for looking.
kc

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

That handle is going to look great. Ya'll are making it real hard for me to figure out how I'm going to rig this drawing to end up with the knife I want. :9:

Hello Again,

Couple more steps done.

Handle polished, stained, and now the process of rubbing it with tung oil once a day for a couple of weeks has started. It will look like glass, and I hope really brind out the awesome curl in this oak.

I had to make another blade collar. I asked for design help and people correctly mentioned that the old collar did not look right with the diagonal plunge cuts. So, new collar.

Hope y'all like.
Tomorrow and part of the next day I will polish and etch. Etching takes a long time because I just hang the thing in vinegar for between 1-4 hours per etch. 5 etches, 15-20 hours.

let me know what you think. The next time I post this one, hopefully, it will be DONE!

IMG_0674.JPG

Kevin, that's an awesome bowie! I'll have to go back & find the specs, but the lines/profile are really nice. Can't wait to see the finished blade. Bill

I am liking it even more now that the handle has been stained. Glad you went with a darker color. Waiting on that hamon. :) Wade

There's going to be a lot going on in that knife with the awesome pattern in the handle and the hamon on the blade. I can't wait to see it all come together.

Back