Stamping vs. Etching

I've got a question for the more experienced knifemakers. I just ordered some 440c stainless to attempt to make my first knives from scratch (always used blanks before). I do not have any etching equipment to mark my blades, but I do have a stamping set (I'm a machinist). Can I stamp my name on the blades or will this cause problems when I send them out to be heat-treated/ tempered? I've read in Don Robinson's book "How to make a tactical knife using your milling machine" that sharp corners creates stress risers that can cause steel to crack during heat treating. Was going to send the knives out to be heat treated to the company recommended either on this forum site or USA Knife Maker page (can't remember where I saw it).

I've been stamping for years and this is MY observation.
I've never ever had a blade crack in heat treat from a stamp. Even in brine. You obviously should take precautions like not stamping the middle of your blade or the edge. I've always stamped on the flats or ricasso. I'm not saying it's never happened but the horror stories from the 80's took on a life of their own I think. Been hearing about this for decades. You are right about sharp or irregular corners and don't go too thin before HT. Peter's Heat Treat near bottom of main page.

Good luck,
Rudy

I have done both for years. And I never had had a problem with stamping. I do my own heat treating, And in over 2000 knives, no cracks or defects caused by stamping.
GOD BLESS!!!
Michael

Back