stamp or etch?

exitium

Im on the fence weather or should stamp or etch my makers mark. Ive actually bought all the components to make an etcher just havent put it together yet, but the ease and simplicity of stamping has my interest.

Anyone know how long do stamps generally last or have any additional input on comparing the 2 methods?

I don't have any knowledge on stamps but if you have the etcher put it together and give etching a shot and see what you think. You can get mutiple stencils and have more options I would think with the etcher.
If you want to etch your mark on the bevels you can. I would think stamps would be limited to flat surfaces.

The advantage of an etcher is that if you want to change the mark you just make a new stencil. This could come in handy of you want to etch your maker's mark and the steel the knife is from.

Doug

I do both. Forged blades always get stamped....and if a blade is too small/thin to stamp, then it gets etched. Traditionally, stamps are used on forged blades, and stock removal blades are etched......that's not a hard and fast rule, but rather "traditionally".

Personally I prefer the stamp....I just like it better

A word about marking your blades...... Either way, for heaven's sake DO NOT make up some obscure logo, or an image with initials! USE YOUR NAME! It drives me crazy when a maker puts out a really nice knife, then "marks" it with some wierd logo that they think is cool.....the problem is that the mark is intended to identify the maker, and in many cases its the only way a person can find you......I cannot count the number of people who have come to may shop with a knife that had some screwed up logo and/or initials on it, asking if I could help them find the maker, so they could order another one......its impossible. http://www.caffreyknives.net/marking_art.html

Thanks for the comments guys. Ed, thats exactly what I was planning, just my last name with a little embellishment under it. Good article Ed, thx for sharing.

Back