stainless steel

brunolundh

is it possible to use stainless steel grade tp 304 or tp 316 to make a knifeblade?

i got a couple of pieces the other day.

/Bruno

The short answer is no. Those stainless grades are reserved for "furniture" (guards, bolsters, fittings, etc). They will not harden sufficiently for a knife blade. Hang on to 'em, and lable them clearly so that you can use them in the future!

--nathan

Bruno there are some excellent stainless steel in sweeden , Im not the right guy to tell you what to get but alot of people use 440c . I use cpm154 mostly.

Okey, thanks for the info.
yepp, we have a lot of good steel in sweden, but this was free so I hoped for the best.

Is there a way to know what steel stuff is? Or should I test harden stuff to know if i could use it?

/Bruno

Okey, thanks for the info.
yepp, we have a lot of good steel in sweden, but this was free so I hoped for the best.

Is there a way to know what steel stuff is? Or should I test harden stuff to know if i could use it?

/Bruno

Perk Sweden? RWL 34 is an excellent knife steel available over there. It was developed by Robert W. Loveless. One of the greatest Knifemakers that ever walked this earth. I never used it. I just know of it.

3xx series Stainless Steel is ok for Guards and such. It doesn't contain enough carbon, so it wont harden. Engravers don't care it, they prefer 416 SS.

Last edited:
I own a couple knives in 154cm and have had a couple in 440c , the only stainless I like at all is 12c27, I will not use any other stainless in a blade.

Back