Stainless Steel Folders

TK9477

Okay - this maybe a newbie question but why are pretty much all folders made using a stainless blade?

Granted - they don't rust as easy but they're also harder and brittle. This in turn lends itself to a compound going which is more difficult to maintain and less sharp than a Scandinavian grind.

Okay - it holds the edge for longer but...

Dunno - just wondering

Okay - this maybe a newbie question but why are pretty much all folders made using a stainless blade?

Okay - this may be a newbie answer, but I don't exactly agree with your assumptions. Yes, corrosion is a big difference, but I don't think they are harder or more brittle or harder to sharpen. The modern stainless steels I've had in recent years have been just as easy to sharpen and just as tough.

Maybe give us an example of what knife you're talking about. If you're talking about a cheapie out of China, all bets are off.

Another newbie answering to but I would say just the fact that it is in your pocket which can get hot and sweaty a carbon steel knife would have a hard time not corroding. The main problem would be the pivot area of the knife getting rusty and not function right.....just my 2 cents.

There are a lot of talented makers on here making folders I would say they could knock out a carbon steel one for ya if interested.

Another newbie answering to but I would say just the fact that it is in your pocket which can get hot and sweaty a carbon steel knife would have a hard time not corroding. The main problem would be the pivot area of the knife getting rusty and not function right.....just my 2 cents.

Now that makes sense.

The knives I'm pondering are the Kirby Lambert Blitz & Olamic Wayfarer - both high end custom and stainless. I'm worried I don't have the skills to sharpen a blade of this degree.

The safer bet would be a TBS Boar who do a carbon steel variant.

I'd prefer to keep them on a belt sheath.

Now, "IF" that stainless steel blade is something like S30V you might have a real issue sharpening with simple tools, BUT - "IF" you'll use a high end steel like Sandvik 14C28N steel it won't have any issue sharpening with simple tools. 14C28N is an easy steel to sharpen, and it's gets "really" sharp. You might like to shave with it {g}.... OK, maybe that's a stretch, it's sure shave hairs off the arm.

Ken H>

I can confirm what Ken said...i'm a carbon steel guy (not relative to Superman, at least that i know), but i was actually impressed when i made my first stainless knife in 14c28n. I only use whetstones to sharpen.
Also AEB-L is a very good stainless steel developed to "simulate" the carbon steels features in the edge.
If sharpenability is an issue you may pass on high abrasion resistant high carbide volume stainless as suggested. Someone will tell you to get a diamond sharpener, but i did and nevertheless the feel of those steels edges is not up to my expectations...but it will depends on your main cutting target.

I prefer to keep along with me the folding knives which are made from stainless steel and they are durable and doesn't gets dull too quickly

The first folding knives I made were with 440c. Not brittle and keeps its edge for a long time. My father has my first ever and still hasn't had to sharpen it and he uses it every single day. It's all in the heat treating as well. I had a professional do my heat treating since 440c is hard to do at home without a real heat treat oven.

Back