Stainless Steel Finish Question

JayDee70

Gold Membership
I have a commission project using stainless steel. Customer wants a satin finish on stainless. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get that finish on stainless. I am thinking of sand/bead/other-media blasting might make a better appearance then say sanding or grinding. Any thoughts??

Personally, I think a good hand rubbed satin finish is one of the nicest looks a maker can put on a blade. Blast finishes are much simpler and far less time consuming, but in my opinion they simply do not have the "professional" looking results of a "hand" finish.

It also depends on the specific knife, and what you are attempting to achieve. That being said, whatever you do, I think its imperative to offer your very best work.....your name is going to be on it, or at least be associated with it, and many times how well that finish came out (or didn't) is the first impression others will have of you and your knives.

Last edited:
Personally, I think a good hand rubbed satin finish is one of the nicest looks a maker can put on a blade. Blast finishes are much simpler and far less time consuming, but in my opinion they simply do not have the "professional" looking results of a "hand" finish.

It also depends on the specific knife, and what you are attempting to achieve. That being said, whatever you do, I think its imperative to offer your very best work.....your name is going to be on it, or at least be associated with it, and many times how well that finish came out (or didn't) is the first impression other will have of you and your knives.

I agree with Ed. A hand rubbed satin finish wouldn't take very long and if done right, you'd only need to go to 600 grit.........or even a good 400 grit can look very nice.

I agree with Ed. A hand rubbed satin finish wouldn't take very long and if done right, you'd only need to go to 600 grit.........or even a good 400 grit can look very nice.

It also depends on the specific knife, and what you are attempting to achieve. That being said, whatever you do, I think its imperative to offer your very best work.....your name is going to be on it, or at least be associated with it, and many times how well that finish came out (or didn't) is the first impression others will have of you and your knives.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Since I have never done a satin finish(other then paint) I will try several different methods on some scrap stainless and select the best looking.

Still open to comments from others.

I agree with Ed, if the customer request a satin finish he'd probably be disappointed in a sand or glass beaded finish. those are completely different animals. I do glass beading pretty often but mostly for tactical style knives. glass beading doesn't hold a candle to a well done hand rubbed satin finish.
as John said 400-600 grit looks nice, I usually go 400 grit with WD-40 on the paper, I also go to a mirror finish first then go back to 400.
your customer might like a glass beaded finish but I'd show him pictures or something before you finish it like that because once you glass bead hardened steel you'll play the devils fool trying to change it. I've tried scotch bright belts and wheels and all they do is make a nice glass bead job look strange, in a bad kind of way.

satin finish:
sand blade with 220grit(or similar) until all scratches gone. sand with medium scotchbrite(or other non-woven belt) until finish is even. sand with extr-fine non-woven until finish is even. hand sand until customer is happy.

Back