Stainless pin and rod

N.N

I tried a quick search and ready through some pages to find it but to no avail.

What is better for stainless pin/tube stock? 303, 316, 316L, 4xx, etc.?

At this point I've used brass because I've found it locally, stainless has been a little harder to find. I've ordered some 302 1/8in rods and some 316L 1/4tubes to start with. I have no idea if they're hardened or not. I tried USAknifemaker first, but the tube is out of stock atm so I found them somewhere else for about the same price. Am I going to run into any problems using these for my handles?

btw, I'm not using these for bolsters, just in the wood/micarta.

I have used both 304 and 416 for pin stock without any problems. I seem to like the way 416 works best. That's what I usually use. When USA doesn't have it and I need it Sheffield has had it. I prefer the 416 from USA as it is cleaner on the surface.

When you say "cleaner on the surface", what do you mean? Before or after grinding and polishing?

Do you work any of these steels differently than you would other stainless or brass? Obviously they would be harder steel. But is there any difference that I should know before they're epoxied into place and hit the belt?

And can you explain what it was about the 416 that you liked better? Thanks!

You may find 316 a bit brittle in thin cross sections.
Be careful if you flare you're tube, it wants to split and crack. 416 works nicely but is as good as brass if you put a high polish to it, it scratches easily. Unless you're having it engraved, I'd stick to satin or scotchbrite finish.

Rudy

416 is both easy to machine and you can forge it to shape. Good for making different styles and shaped guards. Drills, mills, grinds pretty easily. I have finished it both satin and high polished. Since in 75% of my work I use it, I no longer view it as different to work with than 1018 steel or occasional piece of brass I use. Actually I find I mess up the brass easier these days than the 416. A recent favorite is the carbon fiber pins I got from USA Knifemakers Supply but, that's another story!

304 and 316 are real common and very easy to find in all shapes and sizes; tube, round stock, flat stock, dowel pins, nuts, screws, bolts, washers. these steels are used alot by industry and you can find round stock in many places. for the small sizes you would use for handle pins, a 1' piece is probably going to cost less than the shipping. 416 from some vendors may be twice the price. http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=5&step=2&top_cat=1
scott

Back