Spalted Pecan Scales

curtisk

I recently stabilized some spalted pecan using Cactus Juice. I thought I would post a photo of this beautiful wood.
Curtis 4in skinner sl spalted pecan taper tang3.jpg

Wow, looks really nice. I guess the stabilizing worked out for you then? How much work is involved and would you advise anyone to give it a try or is it something you really need to be a chemist to do correctly?

By the way, aside from the wood looking nice, that whole knife is killer. Great job. I'd like to see some more pictures if you dont mind.
Got any ideas for a sheath?

4 in skinner sl mesquite taper tang2.jpg4in skinner sl spalted pecan taper tang.jpgThanks guys! Eric, this is the only other photo of that knife. I do a couple of different style sheaths for that style knife. Here is a photo of one of them.

curtis

Oops forgot. Yes, I would recommend the Cactus Juice. It does work and it works well. I have been playing with a variety of different stuff for stabilizing for a couple of years. The best info I have come across is the thread Tracy started in the main forum. He did an excellent job with it and saved a lot of folks (including me) a lot of time and wasted efforts. The set up is not too expensive. Really, all you need is a vacuum pump, a vessel, tin foil, cactus juice, and a toaster oven.

Thanks alot Curtis, I will be sure to check it out.
Oh..and where did you get that wood if you dont mind me asking...?

the wood was harvested in the next county north of us. I let it spalt here in my wood storage area (outside the shop).

So, I've been scratching my head tring to figure out why someone would us salted pecans for a knife handle. Glad I finally read the thread. :34:

Back