Spalted Pecan Loveless Drop Point

Travis Fry

Everybody has to try to copy Bob sometime, and he definitely got this one right. Here is my first attempt. It isn't flawless, but I'm happy with it. Spalted pecan is from Olney, TX, and the brass for the guard was part of an old milking machine. I like to use stuff with a little history! Thanks for looking.

OAL: 6.7 | Blade: 2.8

152forum.jpg

Looks great. I love that handle.
The spacers between the guard and handle look real nice too.

Very nice looking knife. I'm not usually a fan of spalted wood, but I like the looks of this one. The guard is also very well done. The spacers stand out and look great!

wordsmith , thats called a story knife . I love to make knives from things as that also , it gives them more meaning

The handle really makes it pop. Nice job thanks for the share

Nice looking knife Travis. Do you have any close-ups showing the area under the front side of the guard (where the spacers meet the tang)? How is the guard attached?... Hidden/peened brass pins? Solder? How are the spacers held in place?... Adhesive only, or do you have hidden alignment pins from the scales into the guard body? Erin

Erin, I don't think I have that picture. The guard is attached with one pin near the top and fitted in a slot in the tang at the bottom. The spacers are held in place with adhesive only, and I'm still working on finding something that works with limited success so far. I've been making an integral guard/spacer piece before I attach it to the blade, but will likely do them separately next time. If anyone has any pointers on how to make this work better (spacers on a full tang knife with a guard), I'm all ears. I've been thinking about alignment pins but I'm not sure it would help in this situation.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Back