Something doesn't look right...

Daffy

I ground out this knife last week because I liked the style handle I had seen on other peoples work. Something about the one I made just doesn't look right to me. Anyone have some advice on what might be wrong or is it just my eyes.

photo_zps0f0033b2.jpg

First thing that caught my eye is that the grind is uneven, as far as the handle goes, Dropping the rear of the handle into more of a arc will make it feel & look better.
Start about 1/3rd of the handle back.

That's my 2 cent's.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I don't think that the handle looks that bad but Laurence is right, that grind is uneven. Is the blade straight without any warps in the spine? Was the stock absolutely flat? I can have a result something like that if I leave a bit of a dimple in the blade from forging. To salvage that blade I would first make sure that it's straight and then take the grind all the way up to the spine.

Doug

I think it looks fine,I like it. I make a model with a handle similar to that. Don't change it,finish it and I think you will like it too. Sometimes a new design has to GROW on you.
I'm sure you were already aware of the uneven grind and were not asking about that,it's obvious that he blade is not finished.

It looks like a good pattern to me, be careful when dropping the but of the handle that the top of the handle doesn't get parallel to the bottom or starts to taper distally away from the blade. In my experience, knife handles should always be fatter at the back like yours is, this makes up for the fat bit of your hand where your thumb attaches to.
I would get the grind fixed and keep it how it is though. It would look good with a stripy wooden handle with the stripes going laterally. I don't know what the wood I am thinking of is called, tiger wood maybe?

Since there are no pin holes I assume this hasn't been heat treated!? I don't see anything wrong with it for this stage in the process. I would take it up to 220 and drill your pin holes before heat treat. Other than that the final grind should clean up the uneven line across the blade. I like the shape. Go ahead and finish it then post more pics.

I think it looks good. I looked at it long and hard, and I think that you will probably be satisfied with it when you finish it out.

Thanks for your time and thoughts guys. I believe the uneven grind was just an error on my part but I will definitely double check the straightness of the steel. Also it has not yet been heat treated. I only roughed the shape and bevel out before I set it aside. I think I will finish this one as is an see if it happens grow on me.

It looks handy to me. Nice blade shape. When I place my index finger over the butt end, shortening the handle just a little I like the proportion better.
Anyway you go about it you'll have a nice knife.

I always finish the knife as I have it designed. Calle it a prototype or what ever... it's impossible to know from a profile how it will feel and or perform. Finish it and then rework the second one if you need to. I am a big fan of tapering the tang and skeletonizing (drilling lots of holes). Don't do the taper on this first one but do consider it in the future.

Back