Some of my recent knives

BarryC

I don't post much on here and don't think I have ever posted any of my knives so here are a few pics of my recent knives.

This one is a 1084 skinner with micarta scales.
attachment.php

This one is a 1095 hunter with buffalo horn scales.
attachment.php

And this on is ATS-34 with curly maple handle and a mokume guard. I call it a fighter but only because I don't know what else to call it.
attachment.php

Good lookin work. I don't worry too much about what to call them because where you are seeing one purpose to the the knife the other guys in the room almost always see a different purpose. So don't get too hung up on names!

If you have ever used a skinner they are pretty much used just for the purpose. When I was a kid I used to have a trap line and usually in my skinning shed I kept three knives. One was shaped more like a paring knife with a long slender, straight blade. It was great for getting the starting cuts going when removing a pelt, however if I tried to skin with it the blade being long and skinny I would usually nick or cut the pelt, once started I used a pretty much a dedicated skinner, and when I got ready to do some serious bone removal or work along those lines, then I wanted the heavy bladed one that favored a regular old butcher knife! They didn't really have names each just had a more suited purpose and the right one would find my hand when I needed it!

Back