So, where do I draw the line??

I think you got it right with the "real food", raised on a farm not in a lab. No hormones or other drugs to enhance output.

It's beyond my knowledge to address this properly, but I do know there's a heck of a lotta evidence that the "old ways" of growing produce and raising livestock are MUCH healthier for the plants/animals and also the people that eat them. Not to mention the soil and water supply.

Anyway, before I go off on a psuedo-political tangent, let me just say the best steak I ever ate came from a deer that was humanely killed only hours before, and had spent his life eating all kinds of natural things; no drugs, hormones, pesticides or other nonsense involved.

I like various kinds of beans. Apparently they're pretty good for you, too, providing protein and fiber. But they're beans, dangit! Not burgers!

"Beans, beans, the magical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
Let's have beans with every meal!"

Sorry, it's late and I felt a bit silly...

I am a meat and potatoes man but I love the Black bean and corn burgers froom costco.

Yeah, just because it is healthy doesn't mean it doesn't taste good. I haven't tried this particular product, but a lot of the stuff labeled as healthy is actually pretty good. This is coming from a guy that has eaten a pound of (real) bacon in a single sitting.

My wife started doing Weight Watchers recently, so we had a bunch of their ice cream bars in the freezer. They are actually pretty dang tasty and at a few grams of fat vs 15-20 in regular bars, quite a bit better for you.

In all of my travels I have eaten some crazy things. But Ill eat all those burgers you thorw at me before you can force me to eat camel bacon again! That's some nasty stuff!

My third wife tried to tell me that turkey burger tasted just like beef, and the receptionist down at the immagining center said that the contrast media for my lower GI study tasted just like pina colata. Wrong on both counts! At least the turkey burger didn't have me doing the Tiajuana Two Step.

My wife got real pissed off when I showed her that the turkey burger that was supposed to be so heart health had over twice the fat as the lean hamburger that I perfered. I'm in charge of my own cooking now so I don't worry about about a border line high cholesterol. I just keep it reasonable.

By the way, I do like black beans and corn-in chips.

Doug Lester

Doug Lester

I think Steve's got a little off season April fools going here. I've seen him plop down at the Roadhouse and order up a well done bean and corn double burger with a side of sprouts. He swore the only thing that could wash down that toasted cardboard was a tall ginseng and mango iced tea.

:eek:, Craig

I think Steve's got a little off season April fools going here. I've seen him plop down at the Roadhouse and order up a well done bean and corn double burger with a side of sprouts. He swore the only thing that could wash down that toasted cardboard was a tall ginseng and mango iced tea.

Craig,

Wasn't that was the day you ordered the diet salad with no dressing ????

...diet salad with no dressing ????

Mmmm, yummy! You know those are better topped with sliced rare steak.

I think it's time to take one for the team and start into that green box with a smile, so your wife will let you host another hammer-in. I suppose you could pass a few out if you're really having a tough time getting through them. Just don't eat 'em up too quick or another box might show up.

Oh come on, put your purse down and MAN UP! put some mango salsa on that bean-corn burger lay it all down on a whole wheat kaiser with some nice frisee and watch some Oprah with the girls.

But seriously those things are horrible, just use lots of hot sauce to kill the taste. You can pay back her kindness later by returning some gasified beans in the bedroom.

I took a two day IED class last week and on the second day the instructor pulled out a box of MREs just before we headed to the field (no, I didn't take one, I'd rather eat the box they were shipped in than eat an MRE). When we returned to the classroom late that afternoon and began cleaning up, the MRE box was still sitting on the table. I had to snap a picture when I noticed which MRE was sitting on top. I e-mailed this photo to Steven and he asked that I post it.

I can't believe the military has started making this. What happened to the Corned Beef Hash, Beef Stew, and Tuna With Noodles? Heck, I think I'd rather eat the Omelet MRE than this thing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MRE.jpg
    MRE.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 24
Who says companies never lie on packaging? Did you read the part where is says, "War Fighter Recommended, War Fighter Tested, War Fighter Approved"? Yeah, OK! If you say so! My only question is, "Who are the guys who tested them and which starving military did they come from?"

Gotta agree, what a morale killer to have someone toss over a war fighter approved vegetarian mre for lunch when you're in the middle of an eighteen month tour to one of the dust bowls. It's been a bit, but I can't believe chicken a la king was alright with hot sauce.

Who says companies never lie on packaging? Did you read the part where is says, "War Fighter Recommended, War Fighter Tested, War Fighter Approved"? Yeah, OK! If you say so! My only question is, "Who are the guys who tested them and which starving military did they come from?"

Those are probably the guys fighting the war to take away our hunting rights!!!:eek:

Back