Slow Oven and Timing

buckaroo

I have a home built oven. It is slow to ramp. It can take 3 to 4 hours to hit the 1850 1900. I have been using 1095 and would like to stats using 440c also. The 1095 is not bad. Get the oven to temp, place steel in, let temp recover, time soak, remove. On the 440c I would need to soak at 1500 and then ramp to 1850 1900. My concern is the length of time it takes to get from the 1500 soak to 1900. 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Is this too long of a time.
Thanks Dave

Probably not for the steel if it is protected well, but yes, that is a long time.

One of the reasons we don't put foil wrapped blades in a hot oven is that if the foil is well sealed, the rapid expansion of air inside the envelope can blow up the envelope like a bursting balloon. There are products available other than foil. The results aren't quite as clean, but they're still pretty good. ATP641 works well, but can be a pain to apply. Turco is easy to apply. (just dip or paint on) I don't think Turco is rated over 1800F maybe, but there are dozens on makers in Saskatchewan that swear by it and use it exclusively. There are also some melt on powders, and they work well but can make a mess of your kiln floor.

Any of these would allow you to preheat your kiln and put the blades in hot.

Rob!

Thanks for the replies. I am not concerned so much about scale as I am about the blades being at these temps for extended times.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Back