Sleek Little Sticker " Design Modification"

backtines

Hey Guys, I had made this blade a few weeks ago and never did anything with it because I made a few mistakes. ( or "Design Modifications" as Laurence would put it ) I didn't like the curve I ground through the cutting edge and the ricasso, It comes up too close to my name, and I wasn't paying attention when I started my file work. I usually start at the top of my plunge or a little back, but this time I started way to far back . I started directly over my name and didn't realize it until I was done. To me it looked whacked and out of balance especially with my name right in the middle of the whole mess . The filework started too far back and I had that ugly curve running through the edge and ricasso. I just wasn't feeling it at all and had already wrote this blade off .

The other day I had a guy come into my shop at work knowing I made knives and was looking for a sleek little knife . I showed him this blade. He loved the style and didn't care about the mistake ("DM") I was looking at . It made no difference to him at all and wanted it. So I continued on , cut and mounted the bolsters , added these beautiful scales, hand finished the blade and made a sheath. He picked it up this morning and was really happy with the finish .

Laurence my good friend from Rhinoknives tipped me off to this "Design Modification" stuff a while ago and man , it really does work. Never get rid of blades you're not happy with because you never know , someday someone may want them or you may want to reuse them and turn them into someone else's prize. Great advice . Thanks Laurence.

Whatta ya guys think ?

OL 7 3/4"
1095 steel
416 bolsters cut dovetails 30 degrees w/ 416 pins
Scales Dark Crimson Stabilized
Hand finished up to 800gt
8/9 oz leather antiqued finish

Mike...wow. Your gettin' betterer and betterer brother. That sheath is very nicely done too.
Shhhhaaawang!

That is one slick knife Mike. Excellent craftsmanship.

I have a stack of these waiting for my skills to get better to be able to save them, or try out new things on if possible.

Well I gotta say for a DM, it turned out mighty fine! Who would know you did a bit of re-designing and who would care? The whole package is killer.
Cheers Keith

Thanks guys, this one does actually feel really good in the hand. Keep those DM knives around. Ya never know lol .

Mikey,
Real nice DM. I am beginning to believe you can make just about anything look good.:001_smile::yes:
Wade

Good job Mikey!
There's a customer for every knife,I've made some that I thought were sooooo ugly that no one would buy them but then someone comes along and just loves them.

That says Fin & Feather all over it.
Gorgeous design and execution Mike. We don't make mistakes, we just make it better.

Is that zebra wood or something like it ?

Rudy

That says Fin & Feather all over it.
Gorgeous design and execution Mike. We don't make mistakes, we just make it better.

Is that zebra wood or something like it ?

Rudy

Thanks Guys on the good words .. The wood is listed as " Dark Crimson " The scales were cut with the grain going the other way , which made it really nice to the eye .. Thanks Again guys !

Back